Best Feb. Build

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Aqua.

Best Feb. Build

Post by Aqua. »

Now that the month of February is up, what was the best build of the month?
* Includes both official and unofficial builds
* Does NOT include the 0.8 build

Just so there isn't an argument over what constitutes 'best', just nominate what you personally think is best and write down why you think it is the best build. Everyone can have their own definitions of what is best for them.
Faster than a three legged squirrel
bcool

Post by bcool »

This is terribly unscientific since I've not tried many of the February builds. But I cannot resist nominating stipe's February 19, 2004 /O2 /GL6(/GL7) /arch:SSE build for its stability, functionality and of course remarkable speed.

---
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040219 Firefox/0.8.0+(stipe)
Never let them see you sweat
Aqua.

Post by Aqua. »

bcool, I'm getting an error message whenever I open a group of tabs using the Feb. 21 build, do you get this error with the Feb. 19 build?
Faster than a three legged squirrel
joey716

Post by joey716 »

I have been experimenting with many builds this month because I am now running an AthlonXP3000+ This is my first

I thank all the builders who are optimising for Athlons

Anyway I said that to say Stipe's last GL7 ??2-20 ?? seems to be fastest
Whatever doesn't kill you, will make you stronger
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040228 Firefox/0.8.0+ (Lohvarn)
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Thanh

Post by Thanh »

I usually update my FF everyday but I haven't in the last couple of days cos I found the perfect build (at least for me).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040225 Firefox/0.8.0+ (mmoy) O2-G7-SSE2
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

Thanh wrote:I usually update my FF everyday but I haven't in the last couple of days cos I found the perfect build (at least for me).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040225 Firefox/0.8.0+ (mmoy) O2-G7-SSE2

You might try the experimental build too. Pryan.org appears to be down right now or at least very slow.
cdx47

Best build for Centrino?

Post by cdx47 »

Best build for Centrino?

See my sig. :)

[Edit]
OK why is it sometimes I see sigs in messages (including mine) and sometimes I dont ?
Anyway here it is...

Mozilla Firefox-experimental 0.8.0+ (mmoy)
Windows XP SP1 // Toshiba Sat Pro M10 - Centrino Pentium M 1.4G, 512MB GeForce Go 440

Now ofcourse my sig will magically appear....
Lost User 12105

Post by Lost User 12105 »

I would say any O2 optimised builds from the 19th or 20th, since that is when the string changes were introduced that caused a nice increase in speed (our javascript testing backed up the claims on this by the mozilla people - so this tends to validate the javascript testing). The builds since appear to be no better in speed but some regressions have cropped up. There are a lot of good builds still available from those two days by several builders. Lohvarn's O2 GL6 from 02-20 is still my default. mmoy's newer experimental build might be a step forward but I can't test it personally so I don't really know.

stipe first started making O2 builds with VC7.1, and then discovered the benefit of the GL switch, so others have been able to benefit from what stipe did first.

Off topic, but I'm glad some are starting to build with GCC MinGW again. Probably with enough experimental optimization, a "sweet" spot could be found in building FireFox. As far as I remember, no one had tried O3 before when building for Windows so at least people are willing to try new things now.
sasquatch

Re: Best Feb. Build

Post by sasquatch »

Aqua. wrote:Now that the month of February is up, what was the best build of the month?
* Includes both official and unofficial builds
* Does NOT include the 0.8 build

Just so there isn't an argument over what constitutes 'best', just nominate what you personally think is best and write down why you think it is the best build. Everyone can have their own definitions of what is best for them.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040219 Firefox/0.8.0+

(Stipe?) has worked real well for me so far, and from what I've read, I haven't seen anything stable enough to try since.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Right now I'm using Feb 29: djeter's G6-SSE on my P3 at home, and MozJF's version on my SSE-deprived Athlon at work. Both seem quite well-behaved, and they feel faster (I have not attempted any measurement) than previous Firefoxes.
zab

Post by zab »

Tested quite a few this month. My current favourite is Stipe's O2GL7SSE 20040220 build, but other notable mentions should go to,

Moox - 20040229 AXP O2 SSE - the fastest I've used but the problems with java on MingW/GCC remains.

Krueger Freebird-0224-O1-G7-SSE - another smooth and stable build.
Pete
------
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7
MORA

Post by MORA »

The leap-day-build by MozJF seems to be really good on my Athlon XP. Perhaps it is too soon to judge, though.
They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them - Winnie the Pooh
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

I just installed Stipes 19th g6sse. Works well, except typeaheadfind doesn't work at all!

I use that constantly. Anyone know a comparable build in which it works?
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

I see now in an old post that stipes wrote that " "find as you type" is disabled. " for this build.

WHY? :-(

How would I enable it? Prefs don't seem to do it. Must resort to a diff. build? Anyone know a good build with it working?
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."