new ssl_error_bad_cert_domain error window

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
teoli2003

Re: new ssl_error_bad_cert_domain error window

Post by teoli2003 »

And the first thing to control is if the certificate has been issued for the exact domain it tries to protect. If not, the school has to fix it; if so (and if it is a valid one), it's Mozilla's fault.
Note that the fact that the others browsers accept it, doesn't mean that they should do it.

Do you have a link we can try? or a copy of the certificate and of the url so that we can check?

I've help dozen of people with certificates, I'm still waiting to see a case where Firefox refused a valid certificate.
megamanx

Post by megamanx »

About the link, you have to be here and try to login to their wireless to get the thing, or explain what to look for and where. If I get an error, how can I get a certificate. I would have type the long address, which is lengthy because the pop-up won't let me copy to paste it, another nuisance.

I'll try that JayhawksRock method. I am still annoyed that Palemoon (even Firefox, Aurora, Nightly) only give me that problem. I keep my computer clean of crap, so it can't be corrupted this or that, I even stated that students in the University can't get on either, I can't assume that all of their computers have a corrupted Firefox. Also, it worked before 3.0, so I would have to revert to an older version, which I wouldn't do.

Should I try another Gecko browser to see if it's Gecko. No problems on Webkit and Trident.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

megamanx wrote:Should I try another Gecko browser to see if it's Gecko. No problems on Webkit and Trident.

Try this. Go here and download Firefox 4 portable http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Install it on a usb stick, It will create a new profile the stays contained on the usb. It will not write anything permanent to your computer. This will give you a clean Firefox installation that will will prove or disprove weather you have anything wrong in your current installation.

One other thought, would the university be blocking the site or proxy you are trying to get to?
Last edited by JayhawksRock on April 20th, 2011, 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
megamanx

Post by megamanx »

JayhawksRock wrote:
megamanx wrote:One other thought, would the university be blocking the site or proxy you are trying to get to?

I am making many directions towards what you've asked. I don't use proxies and the sites I go to are like Yahoo, zdnet, lifehacker, etc. Usually those wouldn't be blocked. If you mean their redirect to login? It's required to access their wireless.

I'll post an SS or type out the error I get from the browser.
1. I'll try that JayHawkRocks method
2. I'll try that portable method
3. I'll jot down the wireless weblink that I get to login.

I'll inform when I go to the U tomorrow.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Doesn't the university have an IT department that you can contact? My university has one. What university is this? What do you mean by a "log-in redirect"? Do you mean you connect to their wireless network, then when you try to access a web page you get the Wi-Fi providers page, on which you need to enter your username and password, or agree to the terms and conditions? Can you explain exactly what happens and exactly what you do? We can't answer "Why do I get this?" unless we know exactly what you're doing and what you're getting.
megamanx

Post by megamanx »

They put it as a log-in page, so not just anyone can get online without being staff/faculty or students. University of Houston Downtown. I have contact them, like over a year ago, and no reply, so I will contact them again. Besides, this has been happening since FF 3.0, I assume most use IE or they would have been complaining too, but I don't want to switch to another browser just because I can't log-in yet find it disturbing that I can't get on with FF.

Okay, to my report:
Portable Firefox
Screen Shot (Only one named Firefox)

Nightly:
https://7s-wg2.uhd.edu/cgi-bin/login?cm ... hoo.com%2F
SS (You see Nightly) Self-explanatory

ChromePlus!:
https://7s-wg2.uhd.edu/cgi-bin/login?cm ... yahoo.com/

The browser.ssl_override_behavior was already on 2, yet when I changed it 1, still nothing. I've gone as low as 0 to no avail.
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/megamanxtreme2/Firefox%20Tech%20Support%20Album/
schapel

Post by schapel »

megamanx wrote:Nightly:
https://7s-wg2.uhd.edu/cgi-bin/login?cm ... hoo.com%2F
SS (You see Nightly) Self-explanatory

I get a Server Not Found error on that link, so no, it is not self-explanatory.
I think you should contact the IT department again. It is my experience that most people who have problems don't mention the problems they experience. Don't assume they know about the problem -- explain it as if you're sure they know nothing about it. Also, be polite. You're explaining the problem you're having, not complaining about them or their service. You're doing them a favor by clearly explaining what the problem is, and perhaps they can do you a favor by fixing it or reporting a problem with Mozilla if there is one.
megamanx

Post by megamanx »

The site is a redirect to login. Should I make a video and post it on a video site? I would gladly post one if you'd like.
I was referring to the screenshot where you see "Nightly", so it's self-explanatory what browser I was using during that time.
Also, I am trying to get on with the topic to find a solution. I assume a end-user can't complain about the problems he is experiencing?
I am talking from experience where no friend that use Firefox can log in with the browser, they just use IE or Chromium.

I was just talking to an admin, but it's a trivial situation where I can't side with FF if the other browsers work and I can't side with the University because something about them is not working with FF. I'll go neutral but the point is if there is a way to fix it it would be great.
schapel

Post by schapel »

I don't understand what you're saying about "sides". There is a problem somewhere, right? We are working together (on the same side) to discover what the problem is, right? If you want to simply assert that the problem is with Mozilla, you can file a bug report. But because others don't seem to be able to reproduce the problem, and you don't seem to be able to clearly describe exactly what the problem is, that might not lead to a solution. If you contact your university's IT department, you can get much farther because you can reproduce the problem for them and they can investigate what the problem is. If they find it is a problem with Mozilla, they can file a bug report with the information they found, and this bug report will be more likely to lead to a solution because it will (hopefully) clearly explain what the problem is.
megamanx

Post by megamanx »

Okay, can I get some possible solutions at least rather than a talk-back about my choice of tone?

I pick a side on behalf of the University because "I can log-in with IE and Chromium-based browsers (which is surprising, since I have had problems with FF trying to log-in and it started in 3.0)" or I forget when Chrome came out. I can't assume it's Gecko either.
I didn't expect negative talk-backs, just possible solutions. Yet, I have to remind myself that I am in Mozilla's backyard so I can't talk negative about FF, right? I don't see why I have to use another browser to log-in.

All I am getting from the UHD admin is that it's something with Firefox and from your end, of course I would want to defend the Fox if another browser couldn't connect to the log-in either, it's the University's problem. Older versions of FF log-in, but I don't want to revert to an older version, heck, I am using 6.0a1 Nightly, to revert to 3.5 or lower?

If you see what's causing problems in the Screen Shots...it's some built-in features, except for XMarks, so I'll stick with Firefox Sync, but the Firefox Portable test was as is from my flash drive (mp3 player under USB mode).
schapel

Post by schapel »

How can I propose a possible solution if I don't even know wat the problem is? I'm not "talking back". Do you want to argue or fix your problem? Can you explain exactly what the problem you experience is? All I can gather is that it has something to do with receiving a dialog about an SSL certificate when connecting to Wi-Fi. What do you do before the dialog appears? What does the dialog say? What do you do after it comes up?

Why do you say it's something "from my end"? What do I have to do with this? If you're going to blame me, an innocent bystander who is trying to help you, you're on your own.

I don't see what's happening in the screen shots. I get Server not found errors when I try to see the screen shots. I also don't recall complaining about your tone. I suggested that you be polite when reporting the problem to the university.

Oh, well, I suppose no good deed goes unpunished.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

megamanx wrote:Okay, can I get some possible solutions at least rather than a talk-back about my choice of tone?

Well this is my last try....LOL

1. Does your Certificate Validation dialog look like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Are you allowing cookies INCLUDING 3rd party cookies

I'm out of ideas......Good Luck !
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

And have you checked if the certificate has been issued for the exact domain you are trying to log in?
megamanx

Post by megamanx »

"Why do you say it's something 'from my end'? What do I have to do with this? If you're going to blame me, an innocent bystander who is trying to help you, you're on your own."
I was talking about the Mozilla Firefox Development/Moderating Team.
Schapel, so far all I got from you are questions, and from the topic of the thread someone that knows the problem could provide some possible solutions, like JayHawkRocks has been providing. So, I am not getting anything from you but bad replies as if I can't get frustrated about a problem. This is only going to lead to getting the topic locked, yet I want it open for anyone else to post their problems in the future, not just locked for my incident.

Teoli2003, that's a mystery to me. The only thing that happens is that I open a browser, IE or Chromium, type in a site and it redirects to their log-in prompt. I log-in and I get redirected to the site I was going to go to, just like an approval that my log-in seems to be in order, like someone checking passports to only a select few that are only allowed to use their services, in this it's the students and faculty/staff. From there, I can use the net like normal.

Anyone tech-savvy would understand a solution from those Screenshots, I don't understand the binary codes, but I see that I might have to remove Xmarks and that "services.addons."

JayHawk, I allow 3rd-Party cookies and from the screenshots, I don't get an option to add/allow the certificate whether it's good or bad.
Last edited by megamanx on April 21st, 2011, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schapel

Post by schapel »

I'm a user like you, not part of the development moderating team. I am asking you questions so I can determine what the problem is. You have not provided answers, so I cannot help. All you want to do is argue with me, so I'll not attempt to give help any more. Once again, we don't see any screen shots!!!