is there eta for a phoenix 0.6 release?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
cdn

Post by cdn »

Ewokuk wrote:
cca93014 wrote:Probably because as a developer writing new functionality is much more enjoyable than fixing bugs, unless you are some sort of sadist :mrgreen:

Actually Id rather write a nice bug free program any day before adding more functionality to it, perhaps thats why any program I've ever written actually works, properly, without any significant bugs. Its probably more rewarding finding and fixing an irritating bug than writing a new bit of functionality because you can see something working exactly how it should. Guess I'm a sadist then.

doesn't that make you a masochist ?
Ewokuk

Post by Ewokuk »

ok so im a sadomasochist :P
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Anyone wanna start a pool? Winner gets to brag about their precognitive abillities. :D

I'll say March 1st.
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

Maybe we should start a riot on some of the developers web logs. You know as I was just writing that it would be nice to have a spellchecker where I can select the text I want and then click spell check. That's if we can get the developers motivated again. Blake has been web logging regularly now I don’t see why he couldn’t use that extra time in working on Phoenix. David is working with Safari in smashing bugs I am sure he could work on Phoenix a while. They all seem peaty much unmotivated to getting back to the project.
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Boo... come on guys it'll be fun... just pick a date, the winner gets a biscuit. :)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

MoNkaholic wrote:Boo... come on guys it'll be fun... just pick a date, the winner gets a biscuit. :)

Make that a Mrs. Fields cookie, and I'll be in. ;)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

MoNkaholic wrote:Anyone wanna start a pool? Winner gets to brag about their precognitive abillities. :D

I'll say March 1st.

I'm thinking we should see 0.6 sometime between 1st-15th April.
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

daihard wrote:Make that a Mrs. Fields cookie, and I'll be in. ;)

Fiiine... a Mrs. Fields cookie or a biscuit... Though I'd rather a chocolate covered ice creme filled krispy kreme.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

MoNkaholic wrote:
daihard wrote:Make that a Mrs. Fields cookie, and I'll be in. ;)

Fiiine... a Mrs. Fields cookie or a biscuit... Though I'd rather a chocolate covered ice creme filled krispy kreme.

You like Krispy Kreme better than Dunkin doughnuts? You don't sound like a typical New Yorker. ;)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

daihard wrote:You like Krispy Kreme better than Dunkin doughnuts? You don't sound like a typical New Yorker. ;)

I guess that's a Good Thing (TM). :D
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

Though I'd rather a chocolate covered ice creme filled krispy kreme.

March 15.

Krispy Kremes are only good if you get them from the Krispy Kreme factory straight off the doughnut assembly line. Mix it with chocolate milk for a sure winnar. There's a Krispy Kreme factory about two miles from GaTech, I can eat a full dozen. Otherwise I don't like doughnuts.
mcbridematt

BLOCKER's first

Post by mcbridematt »

Netsabes wrote:Sure: when all these bugs are fixed, 0.6 is out.

Really, they only need to fix all the bugs with a blocker severity attached to them.

There is currently one blocker for Phoenix:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187754
seb

Re: BLOCKER's first

Post by seb »

mcbridematt wrote:

Really, they only need to fix all the bugs with a blocker severity attached to them.

Well, if they only need to fix that, get a nightly build, it'll be your 0.6 milestone.

I really don't understand why people want a new milestone. You've got nightly builds almost every day, guys, and a milestone's nothing else than a nightly build with all the targeted bugs fixed. So if you think that almost no bug needs to be fixed before the release of Phoenix 0.6 (which won't be called Phoenix, they need to choose the name first, but that's another thing), then grab a nightly build.
Chris Cook

Re: BLOCKER's first

Post by Chris Cook »

Netsabes wrote:
mcbridematt wrote:

Well, if they only need to fix that, get a nightly build, it'll be your 0.6 milestone.

I really don't understand why people want a new milestone. You've got nightly builds almost every day, guys, and a milestone's nothing else than a nightly build with all the targeted bugs fixed. So if you think that almost no bug needs to be fixed before the release of Phoenix 0.6 (which won't be called Phoenix, they need to choose the name first, but that's another thing), then grab a nightly build.

Easy to say for Linux users. There hasn't been a new windows nightly since Feb. 11 and there hasn't been a build without pretty major bugs since Dec. 28 (although some of the January builds seem pretty stable).

However, I think its pretty harsh to make ANY demands of the Phoenix developers. They are not required to work on this project at a specific pace, or EVEN finish it at all. We should cut them some slack if we want them to stay motivated.
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Netsabes wrote:I really don't understand why people want a new milestone. You've got nightly builds almost every day, guys, and a milestone's nothing else than a nightly build with all the targeted bugs fixed. So if you think that almost no bug needs to be fixed before the release of Phoenix 0.6 (which won't be called Phoenix, they need to choose the name first, but that's another thing), then grab a nightly build.

I think the main reason is the new name, people just want to get it all over with you know?