is there eta for a phoenix 0.6 release?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
rob

Re: BLOCKER's first

Post by rob »

our milestone releases are bug-driven, not date-driven.

In which case, why bother putting dates against the milestone releases???

People would be less likely to complain if there were no dates on there. If a date is missed, it looks like the project is slipping, even if the releases are bug driven.

Perhaps it would make more sense to have a counter with the number of bugs left to fix for each release on the road map rather than using dates. At least people could see very quicklyhow far the project is progressing.

Just my thoughts.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

rob wrote:
our milestone releases are bug-driven, not date-driven.

In which case, why bother putting dates against the milestone releases???

People would be less likely to complain if there were no dates on there. If a date is missed, it looks like the project is slipping, even if the releases are bug driven.

not having dates would mean a lot of people asking for dates - nobody is going to be content with numbers of bugs. however, I can only agree that if there are dates, they need to be updated. I wouldn't say that the appearance of slipping is necessarily wrong though... ;)
thebard

Post by thebard »

michaell wrote:I wouldn't say that the appearance of slipping is necessarily wrong though... ;)

Yea, somebody sprayed silicone lubricant all over the roadmap. :(
djnr

Post by djnr »

thebard wrote:There is a growing suspicion that Phoenix has been <whisper> abandoned, </whisper> at least temporarily.

They started saying that a month ago, and then suddenly the 12/29 bug was fixed! It can be nerve-wracking but really, have some patience people. We all have projects that we just don't get around to for a while, but then we come back to it with a new spurt of energy.

I think the dev team just got some new members actually, that doesn't sound like "abandoned" to me.

BUT I'd sure like to use that new prefs panel... (Yes I know there's a work-around)
thebard

Post by thebard »

djnrempel wrote:They started saying that a month ago, and then suddenly the 12/29 bug was fixed!

Here is a link to the Phoenix buglist ... to which bug do you refer, the 12/30 inability to install XPI files? I can't find a bug that was opened 12/29

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi ... Phoenix0.6

Note that the current blocker was opened on 1 January, and the toolbar bustage was opened on 2 February

Could it be that you are referring to a Mozilla bug rather than a Phoenix bug?
fittysix

Post by fittysix »

Well there's no bugs for Phoenix 1.0 so they can release that :P :D

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi ... Phoenix1.0

hehe... sorry... just thought i'd add some humor
thebard

Post by thebard »

thebard wrote:Note that the current blocker was opened on 1 January, and the toolbar bustage was opened on 2 February?

Ben submitted fix for toolbar bustage yesterday. Updated Px bugscore: 44 bugs, of which 9 are fixed.
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

*sigh*... it's almost march and the roadmap hasn't been updated... so now everyones going to know that Phoenix is two milestones behind... your supposed to hide things like delays so nobody notices. :(
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

MoNkaholic wrote:*sigh*... it's almost march and the roadmap hasn't been updated... so now everyones going to know that Phoenix is two milestones behind... your supposed to hide things like delays so nobody notices. :(

I stopped looking at the roadmap. One reason is that it doesn't get updated so why bother to check back? But the other, more postive reason is that regardless of the roadmap, Phoenix keeps progressing (albeit at a somewhat slow pace now) and I'm excited about being able to use it every day. :)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
rob

Post by rob »

fittysix wrote:Well there's no bugs for Phoenix 1.0 so they can release that :P :D

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi ... Phoenix1.0

hehe... sorry... just thought i'd add some humor

That's okay, but there seems to be a big bug in bugzilla, so you can't see if there are any bugs. Does that mean that there aren't any bugs? If so, the Phoenix devs should release as many versions as possible before bugzilla is up and running.

Well, I'll be bug-gered.......
scragz

Post by scragz »

rob wrote:That's okay, but there seems to be a big bug in bugzilla, so you can't see if there are any bugs. Does that mean that there aren't any bugs? If so, the Phoenix devs should release as many versions as possible before bugzilla is up and running.

Well, I'll be bug-gered.......

Added bug#92386429 for bug in bugzilla. :mrgreen:
djnr

Post by djnr »

thebard wrote:
djnrempel wrote:They started saying that a month ago, and then suddenly the 12/29 bug was fixed!

Here is a link to the Phoenix buglist ... to which bug do you refer, the 12/30 inability to install XPI files? I can't find a bug that was opened 12/29

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi ... Phoenix0.6

Note that the current blocker was opened on 1 January, and the toolbar bustage was opened on 2 February

Could it be that you are referring to a Mozilla bug rather than a Phoenix bug?

Sorry, didn't check the date of the XPI bug I was referring to, I just figured since 12-28 was the golden build that 12-29 would have been when things went wrong.

But yes, I agree that the roadmap should be updated to reflect the reality. Something simple like a link to the bugs for the .6 release, a better estimate of the timeline and a clear, simple statement that the date is a guess at best.
Tony Dodd

Post by Tony Dodd »

I must disagree. THe milestones are the releases that are posted at most download sites so your "Johnny Public" can find something new and download it. He is not interested in downloading a new build every night, he just wants a new browser to use. These people are who we are trying to reach to use Phoenix as a alternate browser and spread the word. If IE asked you to download a new build everynight if there was a problem and stop whining if you did not like it who would want to stick with that? We have to remember that without your regular user trying our product and being happy, we will never attract anybody but testers. To the regular user, Phoenix being an alpha testing site means nothing. They just want a stable release and they will go to download.com looking for it. 8)
Want a free Gmail email account? PM me...
Mgz

Post by Mgz »

I thinks i don't need 0.6 anymore :(

just wait another month and get Phoenix 0.7 8-)
Please forgive me for my poor English
thebard

Re: BLOCKERs first

Post by thebard »

Tony Dodd wrote: To the regular user, Phoenix being an alpha testing site means nothing. They just want a stable release and they will go to download.com looking for it. 8)

Excellent point.

At some point, ya gotta get the product (or the service) out to the "customer". Continually delaying the grand opening for even more promises of future enhancements is definitely off-putting. (Unless the intended "customer" is this current group of alpha/beta testers -- and I hope that is not entirely true)

Px has lots of potential. Hopefully future milestones will achieve the developers' goals and users' hopes.