JPEGs crashing firefox :(

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
duff

JPEGs crashing firefox :(

Post by duff »

Has anybody else run into this? I've been doing multiple builds everyday since last Friday and every single one of them crash when I visit a page that contains a JPEG or just simply drag'n'drop a JPEG from the shell onto a browser window. Everything is fine as long deselect "Load Images" from the Tools menu. I'm using MS VS 7 .NET (2002), on WinXP pro 2002, SP1.

Specific compiler version:

Code: Select all

$ cl
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.00.9466 for 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2001. All rights reserved.

Here's my .mozconfig:

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
#ac_add_options --enable-extensions=mysqlxpcom
ac_add_options --enable-svg
ac_add_options --enable-svg-renderer-gdiplus
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --disable-activex

export CC=cl
export CXX=cl

And everytime I build with the following command:

make -f client.mk distclean && make -f client.mk checkout build

This is really driving me batty..any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never had this much trouble build moz before in windows or linux.
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

There's a patch that just about every builder is using to get around this problem. See the notes section of the mmoy post.
Dell Inspiron 8500 P4 M 2.0 Ghz 1 GB 40 GB XP Pro NVidia 64 MB WUXGA CME, CH, TBE , EZS Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040325 Firefox/0.8.0+ (mmoy-O2-GL7-SSE2-crc32-Zp16-quek013)
Ewokuk

Post by Ewokuk »

still amazes me how these problems appear and then stick around for quite rediculous amounts of time. this should have been resolved within a matter of hours, its already been a matter of months now and still no sign. wouldnt mind but this patch has been around the entire time, everyones using it, nobodys had any problems with it, so why not just use the patch on the cvs files, problem solved. madness.
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

Ewokuk wrote:still amazes me how these problems appear and then stick around for quite rediculous amounts of time. this should have been resolved within a matter of hours, its already been a matter of months now and still no sign. wouldnt mind but this patch has been around the entire time, everyones using it, nobodys had any problems with it, so why not just use the patch on the cvs files, problem solved. madness.

It isn't that simple. The MMX/SSE2 enables in the code can result in crashes in FireFox and Mozilla. I've done at least 10 Mozilla builds and a bunch of FireFox builds trying to get this to work. In general, the current set of code changes to jdapimin.c and jmorecfg.h work fine with FireFox. But both of the patches proposed for jdapimin.c result in a crash in Mozilla in the startup if it's compiled with GL optimization. At least these are my findings.

aebrahim has found various crashes, apparently from what I read in bug entry with various switches. It may be something that comes and goes based on where something is in the image or what happens to be in the stack at runtime.

At any rate, the developers probably don't have the variety of hardware that we have nor the inclination to run as many builds as we do all hours of the day nor do they necessarily have the ability to throw a build out to the world and get a dozen or a thousand people to test the code change. BTW, I'm not kidding about those numbers.

Scragz has one particular Thunderbird build that has about a thousand downloads from Pryan's site.
duff

Post by duff »

Ahh, damn...commenting out that one line is all it took. Thanks for the point in the right direction.