can't access the windows update

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mgz

Post by Mgz »

I thinks M$ use ActiveX, but Phoenix doesn't support activeX ???
Please forgive me for my poor English
sunder

Post by sunder »

Don't worry about windows update. 99% of the patches are security fixes for IE.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

sunder wrote:Don't worry about windows update. 99% of the patches are security fixes for IE.

That assumes whatever security holes with IE will not compromise Windows itself when you never use IE to browse the Web.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Magus

Post by Magus »

You might be able to use the Windows Update Catalog with Phoenix, but you can't use Windows Update.

Know why? It uses an ActiveX control (not an IE security hole) to check for updates, and ActiveX won't work in Gecko.
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
smkatz

Post by smkatz »

There are about three threads on the subject, this one:
"Windows Update and Phoenix" "more thoughts on the windows update obstacle."
Its worth merging them.

All I wanted to do was say that for both the corporate edition and consumer edition of windows update the downloads for non-IE or old IE browsers seemed to stop with windows 2000. (it doesn't support windows ME or XP.)

the downloads are avaliable, at www.microsoft.com/downloads but only the most popular are in list format--not the most critical. (although popular and critical could be a good combo, but that's not necesarily what they do)

as for a "comprehensible lindows-OS", lindows.com offers an easy to use linux with tech support and software and critical updates library (accessible via Netscape 7, the version that comes with the operating system--I don't think it works with Mozilla.)
It may be easier to code auto-updates if you know exactly what browser they are using.