FF-3b3 - turning off virus scanner

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
PoGo

FF-3b3 - turning off virus scanner

Post by PoGo »

I just downloaded and started using (via Zip file) Firefox-3b3 and, so far, find it far more stable than any release 2 issue, but ... being new to this version, is there any way to stop FF from running a virus scan on every file it downloads?

I not only don't need this feature, I don't want it ...

One more thing .. is there a way to have FF close the download window after completion?

Thanks
"If you do it, fix it, forget it or live with it."
http://www.pogo123.com
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Moving to Firefox Builds
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The first one I don't have much info on.

The second one is simple. Tools > Options. In the main tab under downloads check "Close it when all downloads are finished."
wheels5894

Post by wheels5894 »

Yes, the downloads window.... I have found that closing everything still leaves a tab on the start bar for downloads that won't go away. Using Vista 32 by the way.
Core Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, 4gb RAM, Nvidia 470 GTX. (self-built)
PoGo

Post by PoGo »

OK, troops ... the download window issue is fine .. should have fifured that one out myself, so thanks for the reminder, but ...

that #$%@&-able virus scan is driving me nutso.

First, it slows down the DL process tremendously. I'd rather have the choice to scan what I want, when I want. Even if I do DL a virus, if I scan it before opening it, my system will not suffer.

Second, I don't know what AV engine FF is using ... most are only marginally good, but are still far from perfect ... and some are far better than others. I'd rather know what my system is doing and what it is basing it's choices on.

Better yet .. I'd rather NOT have a built in DL AV function.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

@PoGo

The AV Scan during download uses whatever AV you have installed on your system. Firefox itself does NOT / IS NOT an AV, and I wholeheartedly agree, I would rather they not do a scan on DL, as any AV worth its salt in the first place, will either scan on / during DL, and will for sure scan when you try to open the file, so its a waste IMO to have Firefox scan the file.
djl47

Post by djl47 »

Littlemutt wrote:I would rather they not do a scan on DL, as any AV worth its salt in the first place, will either scan on / during DL, and will for sure scan when you try to open the file, so its a waste IMO to have Firefox scan the file.
Does this mean that Firefox runs a scan then my installed antivirus (Currently Kaspersky) runs another scan when the temp file is saved? No wonder the downloads stall for a minute and CPU spikes at the end of each download.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

djl47 wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:I would rather they not do a scan on DL, as any AV worth its salt in the first place, will either scan on / during DL, and will for sure scan when you try to open the file, so its a waste IMO to have Firefox scan the file.
Does this mean that Firefox runs a scan then my installed antivirus (Currently Kaspersky) runs another scan when the temp file is saved? No wonder the downloads stall for a minute and CPU spikes at the end of each download.

Yes to a degree, but Kaspersky has its own issue with the file-compression that Mozilla uses. When I was playing / testing Kaspersky I saw the hang on save long before the AV scan was added to Minefield, and Kaspersky seemed reluctant to fix it - so I never went with that AV.
pikaunforgiven

Post by pikaunforgiven »

i would like to know how to disable it as well, as quite often ill be doing something cpu intensive (like gaming) while downloading things and its quite irritating to have to stop just because minefield decides to hog the cpu when the download finishes. im pretty sure im not the only one who does the same thing.
blisk

Post by blisk »

I will also like to add that i would like the option to disable this, or at least be told how if its implemented already. I have NOD32 and while sometimes its rather quick on the "scanning for viruses" other times it makes firefox almost completely hang (sometimes completely... non responsive "end task" pops up) for a good minute or two until its done. I find it un-nessicary as most antiviruses automatically scan upon a file being created or opened. So why would i then need it to scan it twice at the same time, or even if its not scanning at the same time, why would i need it to waste my time and scan it again anyway.
PoGo

Post by PoGo »

Thank you, Littlemutt .. that is the most helpful news I have received on this issue.

I tried inspecting the FF user files to see if there was something I could change or redirect, but didn't find anything I thought significant. Now, with your info, I may be able to find a call the I can eliminate.

If not, I guess the only option would be to either live with it or try to hide my AVs from FF ,,,maybe by moving them to a different drive ... I don;t know, but having this info surely helps a lot.

Thanks lots ...
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

I just started with the 3.0 builds this past week and that virus scan is certainly irritating if not a violation of my privacy. How I handle virus prone files on my pc is my business and I feel that Mozilla is stepping over the line by activating my av program when I haven't givin permission. I do not have an av program installed to be used by others. There really should be an option to allow it.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Bozz wrote:I just started with the 3.0 builds this past week and that virus scan is certainly irritating if not a violation of my privacy. How I handle virus prone files on my pc is my business and I feel that Mozilla is stepping over the line by activating my av program when I haven't givin permission. I do not have an av program installed to be used by others. There really should be an option to allow it.

Wait what?

How is invoking your security monitoring software to do its job an invasion of privacy? And if you don't have an AV program then why the fuss when there is nothing to activate?

Most AV programs will scan your downloads even when you don't want them to. Invoking a manual scan of them is redundant, but an invasion of privacy? That is reaching a bit too far.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

That's you're opinion and I respect that but I do not like my browser doing it for me when I haven't allowed it and that's just my opinion. I do have a av program and have it set to scan when I want it to....well not any more...lol.
the_dees

Post by the_dees »

I wonder, most AV software automatically scans after a download finishes. Does Fx's new feature cause a double scan?
Thank you. Have a nice day.