FF-3b3 - turning off virus scanner

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
npre

Post by npre »

I registered here to voice my complaint. It has been a while since the last post here, but I still don't think Firefox should initiate virus scanning on its own and I don't think Firefox should try to emulate IE at all.

Given that any virus scanner Microsoft recommends already includes real-time disk scanning:

Firefox 2 and no virus scanner: no scan
Firefox 3 and no virus scanner: no scan
Firefox 2 and a virus scanner: one scan
Firefox 3 and a virus scanner: two scans

The antivirus feature is redundant and contributes to bloat, though it is nice to know that security is still a concern and people are putting effort into protecting the most simple end user. I had switched back to Firefox 2 as the scanning was driving me nuts, it took nearly 6 seconds even on a small jpeg and even longer (and sometimes crashed) if multiple files ended at the same time. Now that I can turn it off in about:config I have switched back.
Helico

Post by Helico »

I think this feature is great. Yes, it would be nice if it didn't double scan when you have a always active antivirus running, but there is no way to detect that. My computers aren't even close to powerful enough to run an always scanning antivirus, but Firefox scanning downloads saves me the trouble of scanning them manually.
rstat1

Post by rstat1 »

I was totally unable to do any of test against this so called "feature" because it blocked all of them.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0. For AV I have AVG Free 8
scanreg

Re: FF-3b3 - turning off virus scanner

Post by scanreg »

I'm pretty sure this works:

about:config

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone;false
LoudNoise

Re: FF-3b3 - turning off virus scanner

Post by LoudNoise »

Months old thread here. Locking.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."