FF-3b3 - turning off virus scanner

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Matti,

That language is not allowed here. I edited it out. Do not do it again.

Also, your avatar is not within the 100 pixel X 100 pixel rule for this forum. Change yours to be within the rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/rules.php
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Matti wrote:"At least we now have an official Mozilla response"
I'm not official, I'm just a bug triager doing this for many years.

Thanks for the clarification, Matti. It looks like the request for the ability to disable the automatic scan of downloads was turned down by Shawn Wilsher last October. See bug 393792 comment 3 where Rob Arnold says
allowing users to disable scanning is very dangerous to their security.

Jonathan Haas's reply
And allowing users to disable scanning is not very dangerous. Many advanced
users don't even use a antivirus scanner.
appears to have been ignored.
Matti

Post by Matti »

Again, I agree that this scanning in the background is wrong if you can't cancel it because your virus scanner takes years to scan it.
I only marked it as duplicate report and that is correct if I read comment #0 on the original bug report.
The cancel scanning is also a dupe but a different one (which would make your bug also invalid because of 2 issues/bug )

Shawn Wilsher is the developer of that feature and only he can decide if a RFE bugi s valid or wontfix

I expect that you get a double-scan but you could test this with the eicar test file (scroll down for the download links):
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Every Anti-Virus scanner should alert you for this test file (This is no real virus !)
Use Firefox2.X and you should be also get a warning with activated background scanning.

@mod: Sorry for the language, i thought that this word is common used in the us. Avatar deleted, i didn't know of such a rule back in 2002 and i didn't post here for a very long time.
Fuziwuzi

Post by Fuziwuzi »

The devs are becoming more and more like Microsoft every day... they know what is best for you, you have no choice, you will do as you're told and you will like it. :(
Win7-64 Ultimate, Core2Duo E6700, 2GB PC3200 DDR ram, ATI HD4650 graphics.
Eygte450

Post by Eygte450 »

pikaunforgiven wrote:yikes, how big is the XAMPP.exe installer? that would be brutal for me.

Around 37MB
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#641
Recall

Post by Recall »

Recall wrote:Just a FYI, I made a post about a serious issue with NOD32 and both official and nightly builds of firefox. It is currently being looked in to and will be fixed.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197235

Just an update, they have now fixed the issue in NOD32, not sure if it fixes large downloads I need to do some testing anyone got a file for me as I am on a 20mbps connection?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Matti

Post by Matti »

Fuziwuzi wrote:The devs are becoming more and more like Microsoft every day... they know what is best for you, you have no choice, you will do as you're told and you will like it. :(

There must be someone decide such things because if you implement everything that users suggest in bugzilla than you would have a Firefox with thousands of buttons and one Million Preferences.
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

I suspect there will eventually be an option to turn this off. The devs often don't like to admit they are wrong, but with so many virus scanners exhibiting poor performance, I doubt that even careful threading will avoid bringing the browser to a halt on many machines.
Recall

Post by Recall »

I think what will happen is that it will ship without the preference, then if like the major memory leak problems that showed when FF2 came out, except this can be hotfixed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
ehume

Post by ehume »

Might I recommend that we all go and vote for Bug 412094?
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Stifu

Post by Stifu »

ehume wrote:Might I recommend that we all go and vote for Bug 412094?

Sadly, I don't think that'll change anything... Apparently, votes in general have very little weight, not to mention your bug has already been marked as duplicate (whether that was appropriate or not).
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

I think voting is generally a waste of time. The only possible value I can see (apart from being a placebo) is to reassure a developer working on a fix that there is interest in the bug.
the_dees

Post by the_dees »

asquithea wrote:I think voting is generally a waste of time. The only possible value I can see (apart from being a placebo) is to reassure a developer working on a fix that there is interest in the bug.

I personally use votes to silently add myself to the CC list. The normal way of CC ist just to much bugspam.
Stifu

Post by Stifu »

the_dees wrote:I personally use votes to silently add myself to the CC list. The normal way of CC ist just to much bugspam.

Same here, and that also lets me keep track of all the bugs I'm interested in.
RyanVM

Post by RyanVM »

the_dees wrote:
asquithea wrote:I think voting is generally a waste of time. The only possible value I can see (apart from being a placebo) is to reassure a developer working on a fix that there is interest in the bug.

I personally use votes to silently add myself to the CC list. The normal way of CC ist just to much bugspam.
You can adjust your email prefs, you know. There's no reason CCing yourself to a bug has to lead to a lot of spam.