Close all other tabs

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

"close other tabs" is a completely ridiculous option to have in the default build. Completely ridiculous.

- Chris
flii

Post by flii »

thumperward wrote:"close other tabs" is a completely ridiculous option to have in the default build. Completely ridiculous.

obviously it's not if so many people want it so badly. i still love the mouse control of a 3 year old comment, personally. ;)
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's in TBE though. it's a downright dangerous option, especially when there isn't an undo, and it shouldn't be there unless a user really wants it (at which point they can get TBE).

- Chris
flii

Post by flii »

tbe comes with many, many, many extra things, however, thumperward. someone who just wants close other tabs shouldn't have to dl a big, confusing extension just to get one option back. i admit i personally use tbe, but i dled it for definitely more than just one feature. i'm glad to say i, at least, have the option of having close other tabs in my context menu, as well as duplicate tab and close tab. those are the only things i've ever, ever used when right clicking and all i need.
Aqua.

Post by Aqua. »

thumperward wrote:"close other tabs" is a completely ridiculous option to have in the default build. Completely ridiculous.

- Chris

OR, you could have it as a capablility that you can choose to turn on or off in the options section.
Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

which would be preferable. i'd even accept hacking a config file to get it.
trust me, i absolutely think i know what i'm positively doing.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Aqua. wrote:OR, you could have it as a capablility that you can choose to turn on or off in the options section.

Gosh, just like TBE
And it's not a silly proposition. If a lot of people use a feature, it should be considered for inclusion.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
JenHi

Right click customize ?

Post by JenHi »

alanjstr wrote:
Aqua. wrote:OR, you could have it as a capablility that you can choose to turn on or off in the options section.

Gosh, just like TBE
And it's not a silly proposition. If a lot of people use a feature, it should be considered for inclusion.

So what about let user customize right-click menu, as an option section ?
It is maybe stupid but why not ;

I have linky and leech in mine, and use them ; but do not use close right and close left, never.
Though I can easily imagine me using only two or three items and disturbed by others.
May I stop to drink for example ;), or surf with disabilities ( Parkinson ...) :(

On the other hand right click is an easy way to discover what a software can do ;
you place your mouse in an area and right click , then you are supposed to see all options ;
Bar menus are less user friendly because they are build on semantic leads, so depends on who is using, and who designed, though users are supposed to learn sometimes, but not to count on it is better. :)
With visual area and right click (long click in Mac ) context menu the link depends more on "what is this ?"
and "what can I do with it ?".

So an option section, could be a feature fitting the modern user-friendly, "close as your tee-shirt is" , that I personnaly like in phoenix 0.5.
I would not say the same for an item "customize this menu" in context menu , it is not very "plain" ; but I could be wrong.
To go customize this in a file would not fit with "disable users", would they want to have more because they only use mouse, or less, because they often make mistake in pointing.
Power users ?
Perc

Post by Perc »

too bad TBE crashes my fscking Px then. (windows)
I'm sticking with good old January 07 until they fix "close other tabs". Period. We wants it. We needs it.
Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

We needs it my precioussss.

oh come on, it was obligatory at that point :)
yakko

Post by yakko »

I accidently close windows using Alt-F4 all the time.
Sometimes I mistakenly hit alt-F4 instead of ctrl-F4 to kill a tab and kill the whole browser session. Using the logic for removing the Close other tabs option Alt-F4 should be removed too.

This was a completely stupid thing to remove. It's one of the more useful features of tabs IMHO and I can't get out of the habit of looking for it everytime I need it. And installing an extenstion to fix this isn't an option for me. I've tried TBE and don't like it. All I want is the option that was a part of Phoenix and is a part of Mozilla back.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

yakko wrote:I accidently close windows using Alt-F4 all the time.
Sometimes I mistakenly hit alt-F4 instead of ctrl-F4 to kill a tab and kill the whole browser session. Using the logic for removing the Close other tabs option Alt-F4 should be removed too.

Just curious, what's "ctrl + F4" supposed to do?

yakko wrote:This was a completely stupid thing to remove. It's one of the more useful features of tabs IMHO and I can't get out of the habit of looking for it everytime I need it. And installing an extenstion to fix this isn't an option for me. I've tried TBE and don't like it. All I want is the option that was a part of Phoenix and is a part of Mozilla back.

I don't really miss that feature since I didn't even know it existed until I read about the removal of the feature here. I agree, however, that if the feature is widely used, then removing it completely like that isn't a good idea.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
fbddk

Post by fbddk »

daihard wrote:Just curious, what's "ctrl + F4" supposed to do?

CTRL+F4 is the standard keyboard shortcut for 'Close document' (in windows anyway) just like ALT+F4 is the standard for 'Close program'.

Maybe <b>yakko </b> should just get used to CTRL+W which also closes the current tab.
yakko

Post by yakko »

daihard wrote:
yakko wrote:I accidently close windows using Alt-F4 all the time.

Just curious, what's "ctrl + F4" supposed to do?

Sorry, I meant ctrl-w. It and ctrl-f4 in most windows programs will close the open window while leaving the program as a whole running. I forgot that Phoenix and Mozilla follow the mac/unix ctrl-w combo.
Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

I still feel like the bastard red-headed stepchild when I load up a new nightly. I haven't updated this machine at work because I don't want to toss the last build I had that included CAOT.