Close all other tabs

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
flii

Post by flii »

daihard wrote:How long has that menu item been around? I just checked the 2002-12-28 build and couldn't find that entry under File. I did see it under the tab context menu, though, and that is gone from the 2003-02-21 build. Is that what you meant, Flii?

if you read the rest of the thread, that's where they talk about it under the File menu. i have always gotten to it by right clicking my tabs in every other build, which i now notice is gone.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Flii wrote:if you read the rest of the thread, that's where they talk about it under the File menu. i have always gotten to it by right clicking my tabs in every other build, which i now notice is gone.

It wasn't all that clear from the rest of the thread, at least not to me. The simple fact for me is that the File menu has never had "Close Other Tabs," and that the "Close Other Tabs" under the tab context menu is now gone.

So now, how are we supposed to "close other tabs"?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
flii

Post by flii »

daihard wrote:So now, how are we supposed to "close other tabs"?

as the rest of the thread says... tbe. :( that's about it.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Flii wrote:
daihard wrote:So now, how are we supposed to "close other tabs"?

as the rest of the thread says... tbe. :( that's about it.

Darn it. Thank goodness I don't use that feature. :(
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Close all other tabs... yeah I remember that awfull option that I accidentally missclicked a few times in Mozilla (some shy persons are lucky to not have been around when that happened).

I'm really glad it's gone (and it has been gone for quite a while hasn't it, at least my Gecko/20030201 Phoenix/0.5 doesn't have iyt and I can't recall whenI saw it last).

The very exsistance of this awfull option made me COMPLEATLY stop using rightclick on tabs (and use the small X on the right instead).
I'm glad I can get my back to using rightclick on tabs now again...
Ewokuk

Post by Ewokuk »

maybe you should learn how to control a mouse better than a 3 year old if you cant click something properly.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Ewokuk wrote:maybe you should learn how to control a mouse better than a 3 year old if you cant click something properly.

And yet again you are showing that your degree in usability doesn't mean squat in real life :D
Good going Ew, you are a real pride for your school.

In real life you have things like dust and dirt that can affect your mouse making it jump ever so slightly when you try and hit a menu item.
Close ALL OTHER tabs next to close tab is a usability nightmare, even if you missed that chapter in the book.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Ewokuk wrote:maybe you should learn how to control a mouse better than a 3 year old if you cant click something properly.

true, I can't believe they removed it because of people clicking the wrong button, then move it somewhere else... don't remove it all together
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Tom Sommer wrote:

true, I can't believe they removed it because of people clicking the wrong button, then move it somewhere else... don't remove it all together

I agree with you on this one. I don't use the Close other tabs functionality so its removal doesn't affect me. I still believe it should not have been removed just because some users mistakenly hit it instead of other items that are nearby, even if the users include experts like Stefan. ;)
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

daihard wrote:I still believe it should not have been removed just because some users mistakenly hit it instead of other items that are nearby

I agree too, it should not have been removed. In fact, it should never have been added to begin with :P (it was not there in the first mozilla tab implementations, only added later on)

If you want to close all tabs but one, just open the link to the one you'd like to keep in a new window and then close the current window. It's not harder then that.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Stefan wrote:
daihard wrote:I still believe it should not have been removed just because some users mistakenly hit it instead of other items that are nearby

I agree too, it should not have been removed. In fact, it should never have been added to begin with :P (it was not there in the first mozilla tab implementations, only added later on)

Tell me about it, I didn't even know about that option until I read this thread. ;)

This tells me, however, how any feature has a certain number of followers that would do anything to keep the feature alive, no matter how silly or useless it looks by most other users. (No offence to those who like this feature... hey I've been defending it.)
Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

Hey, it made me decide to register and post my discontent with not having it in the most recent nightly.

I popped the nightly (2-21-03) onto my machine at home because it got rid of some bugs and other crap I'd been dealing with while at work, but now my beloved Close Other Tabs is gone.

I'll be the first to lead the online demonstration. :)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

I believe it's against the rule here to use an animated avatar.
Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

just in case, i put domokun instead. though everyone loves Gir, he's sometimes too big to handle ;)
trust me, i absolutely think i know what i'm positively doing.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Rasputin wrote:just in case, i put domokun instead. though everyone loves Gir, he's sometimes too big to handle ;)

Is that domokun or nubokun? ;)