Places query syntax

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Oropher

Re: Places query syntax

Post by Oropher »

shil88 wrote:i hope they update the api soon to make for more complex queries

Chances are there will be some movement on that sort of thing once the advanced query builder is put back into the Library. I don't know of a bug for AND queries but there is a bug that covers grouping the results of a tag search according to tag.
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

shil88 wrote:how can i join multiple tags in one folder, i.e. having all the bookmarks that have both the "cool" and "firefox" tags
The TagSifter extension might help.
FrenchSim

Post by FrenchSim »

TagSifter is a wonderfull extension indeed, which gives the new tagging functionality of Firefox its full usefullness, think also of
Tagging Multiple Bookmarks https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7463
to add tags to a large amount of bookmarks in a few clicks.
Oropher

Post by Oropher »

bomfog wrote:
shil88 wrote:how can i join multiple tags in one folder, i.e. having all the bookmarks that have both the "cool" and "firefox" tags
The TagSifter extension might help.

Wow! Advanced query operators... and an entire custom query builder. :shock: =D> :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bomfog, do you know the creator of this extension? Any chance of getting them to contribute a patch for this stuff in time for 3.1? If this was exposed to the places queries, it would make the tagging system very nearly perfect.

Edit: OK, so I've calmed down a bit... I can see that this sort of stuff would probably be a bit excessive to fold into 3.x. But I'm thinking that it would be great if we had some way to use the advanced functionality with 'place:' queries... maybe add a new queryType that uses the TagSifter query builder, something like

Code: Select all

place:queryType=3&terms=tag1%20!(tag2,%20tag3)&sort=1

:?:
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

Oropher wrote:Bomfog, do you know the creator of this extension? Any chance of getting them to contribute a patch for this stuff in time for 3.1? If this was exposed to the places queries, it would make the tagging system very nearly perfect.
I don't know the author, unfortunately.

Dietrich just put up a some-what similar add-on (Tag Finder), and the two of them mixed together would be almost as Awesome as mardak's Bar. I've been going to look through the code and see what's there, but I'm pretty illiterate in that area. Somebody with a clue might be able to do great things in the way of a combined add-on.

Query-saving is on the TagSifter wish-list, but editing of found bookmark's tags'n'stuff isn't (yet).

The thought of TagSifter's queries, and the saving thereof, plus Tag Finder's bookmark editing gives me goose-bumps.
Oropher

Post by Oropher »

bomfog wrote:Dietrich just put up a some-what similar add-on (Tag Finder), and the two of them mixed together would be almost as Awesome as mardak's Bar. I've been going to look through the code and see what's there, but I'm pretty illiterate in that area. Somebody with a clue might be able to do great things in the way of a combined add-on.

I think they need mixing. Tag Finder uses the standard PlacesUtils JS functions, which AFAIK don't include advanced query-building. That may well be why tags keep re-appearing across the panes.
Based on a quick look, I think it's probably possible, albeit complicated and time-consuming, make Dietrich's UI use TagSifter's query engine. On the other hand, considering some of the really neat stuff in TagSifter, it might be better to make TagSifter use Dietrich's UI... :-k

bomfog wrote:Query-saving is on the TagSifter wish-list, but editing of found bookmark's tags'n'stuff isn't (yet).

Editing found bookmarks' tags'n'stuff would need a fix for the Bookmark Properties panel. Query-saving... well, that would require some way of redirecting a 'place:' query to use the TagSifter query system, rather than the standard Places query builder. To do that would, I think, require extending the nsINavHistoryService with a new queryType like I suggested above. TagSifter doesn't use any C++, so I wouldn't be surprised if that wishlist item only refers to a list of saved searches in the TagSifter sidebar & menu.
qda

Post by qda »

Hey guys, newbie question: I cannot seem to figure this out:

How do I save a smart bookmark folder of bookmarks that have 2 specific tags. So I only want bookmarks that are tagged with BOTH Tag1 and Tag2.

If I put 'terms=tag1&terms=tag2', it acts as the OR operator, not AND - I want it to act like AND for tags.
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

qda wrote:Hey guys, newbie question: I cannot seem to figure this out:

How do I save a smart bookmark folder of bookmarks that have 2 specific tags. So I only want bookmarks that are tagged with BOTH Tag1 and Tag2.
See the last half-dozen or so posts above.

Short answer? Can't yet.
AlmostFamous

Post by AlmostFamous »

Is it possible to 'reset' the history status? For instance, I'd like to delete the history in my 20 Most Visited smart Bookmarks list and have it start tracking from now going forward.
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

AlmostFamous wrote:Is it possible to 'reset' the history status? For instance, I'd like to delete the history in my 20 Most Visited smart Bookmarks list and have it start tracking from now going forward.
Open the Organizer, highlight "History" in the left pane, sort by visit count in the right pane, highlight the top history entries, and delete them.

That deletes history entries, bookmarked or not, so you may have to be a little selective to get all 20 bookmarks without losing wanted history (if any). I don't know of any easy way to filter out un-bookmarked history entries, nor to just reset the visit count of bookmarks, off hand. Maybe someday....

The history should be wiped for those entries, without losing the bookmarks, but the sensibly paranoid will backup before experimenting, if there's anything you can't afford to lose (should a bug rear its ugly head or some such).
AlmostFamous

Post by AlmostFamous »

That worked but I had to recreate the smart bookmark. At first, I followed your steps and it didn't work so I threw in a "delete private data" and relaunched FF. Still didn't work. But once I recreated the smart bookmark it worked.

Thanks.
Oropher

Post by Oropher »

pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

Is there a way to find the bookmarks that have (any) keywords?
Oropher

Post by Oropher »

pschroeter wrote:Is there a way to find the bookmarks that have (any) keywords?

Not at the moment. AFAIK the best you can do is sort search results by keyword.
AlmostFamous

Post by AlmostFamous »

Is it possible to create a smart bookmark that will access the unfiled bookmarks folder?

** never mind. place:folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS **