MozillaZine

"AwesomeBar" is totally NOT awesome

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Helico

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 7:10 am

If you delete your favicons, would that make awesomebar faster? (this normally reduces the bookmarks file to about half its size, I don't know if that would help).

buzwork

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 10:02 am

Without being able to change the address bar to the "old" behavior, I doubt I'll ever use FF3. Time to switch to Opera I guess.

buzwork

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 10:09 am

buzwork wrote:Without being able to change the address bar to the "old" behavior, I doubt I'll ever use FF3. Time to switch to Opera I guess.

To expand on this...

If I want to access my bookmarks I'll go to my bookmarks. I don't need some algorithm 'guessing' WTF I'm trying to get to.

This is hands down the worst change to FF.

supernova_00

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 10:32 am

buzwork wrote:Completely disagree. If I want to use a frickin' bookmark i click on bookmarks and select.

"Awesome Bar" sucks without being able to change to the 'old' address bar behavior. I don't need some algorithm guessing WTF I'm trying to get to.

Horrible change to FF. If they don't add the ability to allow end users to switch the current FF2 address bar behavior I certainly won't be using FF3.

To me it's like Windows XP/Vista. When I'm forced to use either one I turn off all of the 'features' and essentially strip it down to the same GUI that was introduced with Windows 95.

I don't want, don't like, and don't need this eyecandy BS that the developers are intent on shoving down end-users' throats.

*JUST ADD THE ABILITY TO TURN THIS 'AWFUL BAR' OFF*
The FF2 address bar along with IE's completely sucks. I am forced to use IE at work and clearing the history list is disabled so I have like a years worth of crap in there that I have completely type every url out because I have so many in my list.

Now with Awesomebar, I barely type more than three letters...usually just one. How the hell can that suck? And by the way, which build are you using?

buzwork

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 10:54 am

Eminemdrdre00 wrote:So theres still no way to get the URL bar to behave the way it did in FF2? :\

Can any one give a definitive answer on this? I didn't see a reply to Eminemdrdre00's question.

I'm curious as well.

watervole02

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 11:08 am

avada wrote:
watervole02 wrote:
Solos wrote:Excuse me. It may be silly question, but is the "awasome" toolbar in FF3.0 sth similar to Quick Find in Opera 9.5 Beta 2? I ask because I prefer to wait until RC1 or final release of FF3.0 before installing it.

Yes. Littlemutt mentioned it one page back. The only major difference I know of is that the one in opera also searches page text, not just the title and url.

It looks to me that opera doesn't search the pagetitles and the urls, it searcehes some of the page text instead. So I think that awesomebar is more useful, altough it's a lot slower than I think is acceptable.

Yeah, I just noticed that a little while ago. It can't search titles or urls beyond the domain names. Seems kind of odd that it can't do that, but it can search pages.

buzwork wrote:Without being able to change the address bar to the "old" behavior, I doubt I'll ever use FF3. Time to switch to Opera I guess.

Opera 9.5 will have "quick find" which is similar to ff3's "awesomebar," so you'll want to switch to something else.

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 11:50 am

buzwork wrote:

To expand on this...

If I want to access my bookmarks I'll go to my bookmarks. I don't need some algorithm 'guessing' WTF I'm trying to get to.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=651854

GSkRC33NJ9US

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 11:55 am

It is functionality that is handy occasionally(for me), but most of the time I find it a hassle.
I think it's more down to the way it looks than it's function, although I sometimes wish I could turn it all off just for the simplicity of the old one.

I wish something would be done about the highlighting in Vista.
It just shouldn't be blue. If you look at something like the Task Manager or the Start Menu, you can see that the separators are not the FULL width, the highlight is a rounded pale blue gradient, and not a solid Win98 style rectangle of evil.

IBBoard

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 12:12 pm

7842.9: That's all well and good, and my first reaction with b2/b3 was "OMG what is this? It's terrible" where as now I think "OMG what is this? It's useful at times when I want to search, but its second guessing is more of an annoyance than a use most of the time when I know what I should type for the domain and instead it makes me look through a list or guess search phrases".

If someone can tell me how to make it do URL only normally and full search of URLs with some prefix (a bit like the old "google a b c" searching Google with the string "a b c" quick bookmarks) that'd make me happy. Then I could make use of the new functionality when I want to and not get shuffling results when I know where I'm going.

buzwork

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 12:25 pm

7842.9 wrote:
buzwork wrote:

To expand on this...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=651854

Thanks for referencing that thread. I've been using FF3 since 3b3 and I haven't "come around", however, and I don't think that I will. I don't like it and just want to turn it off.

An address bar should be an address bar. I don't need URL history, bookmarks, and search rolled into it.

The current audience for FF3b is fairly small. If it releases with this address bar behavior there will be a lot of backlash, I guarantee it. Simply adding the option to disable it would be great.

B

Canyonero

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 12:44 pm

IBBoard wrote:7842.9: That's all well and good, and my first reaction with b2/b3 was "OMG what is this? It's terrible" where as now I think "OMG what is this? It's useful at times when I want to search, but its second guessing is more of an annoyance than a use most of the time when I know what I should type for the domain and instead it makes me look through a list or guess search phrases".

If someone can tell me how to make it do URL only normally and full search of URLs with some prefix (a bit like the old "google a b c" searching Google with the string "a b c" quick bookmarks) that'd make me happy. Then I could make use of the new functionality when I want to and not get shuffling results when I know where I'm going.

That's Bug 424557, which depends on Bug 395161 getting checked in too, both of which would provide neat features for people to use. Neither is (or will be) blocking though. ( don't bugspam :) ) I don't think there's any easy way to do it otherwise (without rewriting the entire autocomplete handler in an addon).

EDIT: They are built in some of Ed's tryserver builds though. You could go find one of them, set "browser.urlbar.match.url" to be "" in about:config and FF should default to searching just urls.

IBBoard

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 12:58 pm

I'd seen the bits about browser.urlbar.match.url (which I assumed were in branch builds, although no-one had said whether the early ones had made it to b5 or not) but I don't think it does everything I need.

While blanking the value would let me type URLs in as close to a Firefox 2 way as possible, I'd then like something like "s:" to be the trigger all searching. So, not quite "search just in title" or "search just in URL", but defaulting to "search just in URL" and then a key phrase triggering "search in everything, just like standard behaviour". Hopefully that makes sense :)

avada

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 2:07 pm

Helico wrote:If you delete your favicons, would that make awesomebar faster? (this normally reduces the bookmarks file to about half its size, I don't know if that would help).

Well the file size would be smaller, but I don't think it would be faster because it still has to search through the same stuff. By the way. Is it actually possible to delete the favicons?
watervole02 wrote:Yeah, I just noticed that a little while ago. It can't search titles or urls beyond the domain names. Seems kind of odd that it can't do that, but it can search pages.
Just what I was thinking. It is not logical to save parts of websites end search in them instead of page titles and url-s.

GSkRC33NJ9US

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 2:35 pm

buzwork wrote:An address bar should be an address bar. I don't need URL history, bookmarks, and search rolled into it.

The current audience for FF3b is fairly small. If it releases with this address bar behavior there will be a lot of backlash, I guarantee it. Simply adding the option to disable it would be great.

B

I find it particularly ironic that Firefox needs to be 'extended' for simplicity;)

mattcoz

Post Posted May 1st, 2008, 2:48 pm

supernova_00 wrote:The FF2 address bar along with IE's completely sucks.

They really do, I'm completely dumbfounded that there are people that actually prefer this method.

Return to Firefox Builds