gtk dependency changes from beta3 to beta5??

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Rustom P Mody

gtk dependency changes from beta3 to beta5??

Post by Rustom P Mody »

I was running firefox beta3 on debian etch and waiting for the next one
Beta 5 is just out. So downloaded and tried it but I get a popup saying the following:

Code: Select all

We're sorry, this application requires a version of the GTK+ library that is not installed on your computer.

You have GTK+ 2.8.
This application requires GTK+ 2.10 or newer.

Please upgrade your GTK+ library if you wish to use this application.

Upgrading GTK+ does not seem to be much easier than upgrading the whole OS :-(

Is there any way to get a ff3 built for gtk+ 2.8??

Thanks
jdhore

Post by jdhore »

Rustom, The simple answer is no...GTK 2.10 was chosen for Beta4 actually because there are a bunch of things that were added to Firefox that were MUCH easier to implement in GTK 2.10...My suggestion would be to either upgrade the box to Debian Testing (I'm VERY against running Etch on a desktop box...It's so out of date) or compiling GTK 2.12.9 (not very difficult...My 2.4GhZ P4 machine compiled it in about 20 minutes).
orizng

Post by orizng »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=418885

here you go, the patch is ready, just not sure if mozilla is going to check it in..

I would vote yes, if that counts, gtk2.8 is still used by a lot of users. It would be a great loss for firefox.
WAPCE

Post by WAPCE »

A bunch of little things were broken for a while with GTK < 2.10, but many of them weren't noticeable until shortly before the warning was put in (missing menu icons, missing menu separators, etc). I don't have time to run anything but Etch on my Debian systems, but I have found a fairly good work-around. GTK 2.10 will compile without requiring any additional dependencies than those already included in Etch, so compiling a Firefox-only install of it is pretty painless. My 4-step hack approach consists of the following:

1.) Verify installation of lib-*-devel of the following packages (you probably already have a bunch installed): glib, pango, atk, freetype, cups, tiff, fontconfig, cairo (maybe more?).
2.) Download the latest GTK 2.10 source and configure with './configure --prefix=/opt/gtk-2.10' and make/make install.
3.) Set up the latest Firefox release of your choice in /usr/local/firefox .
4.) Create a shell script that accomplishes the following (I use /usr/local/bin/firefox) and add it to the window manager/desktop application menu of your choice:

#!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/gtk-2.10/lib"
/usr/local/firefox/firefox $*

Probably ugly, but it leaves all my other GTK apps alone.
Rustom P Mody

Post by Rustom P Mody »

WAPCE wrote:A bunch of little things were broken for a while with GTK < 2.10, but many of them weren't noticeable until shortly before the warning was put in (missing menu icons, missing menu separators, etc). I don't have time to run anything but Etch on my Debian systems, but I have found a fairly good work-around. GTK 2.10 will compile without requiring any additional dependencies than those already included in Etch, so compiling a Firefox-only install of it is pretty painless. My 4-step hack approach consists of the following:

1.) Verify installation of lib-*-devel of the following packages (you probably already have a bunch installed): glib, pango, atk, freetype, cups, tiff, fontconfig, cairo (maybe more?).

I tried going into synaptic and choosing all these. The final list that emerged was as follows:

To be upgraded:
libcupsys2 (version 1.2.7-4)
libfreetype6 (version 2.2.1-5+etch1)
To be installed
libcairo2-dev (version 1.2.4-4)     
libcupsys2-dev (version 1.2.7-4etch2)
libexpat1-dev (version 1.95.8-3.4)   
libfontconfig1-dev (version 2.4.2-1.2)
libfreetype6-dev (version 2.2.1-5+etch2)
libgcrypt11-dev (version 1.2.3-2)
libglib1.2-dev (version 1.2.10-17)
libglib2.0-dev (version 2.12.4-2)
libgnutls-dev (version 1.4.4-3)   
libgpg-error-dev (version 1.4-1) 
libjpeg62-dev (version 6b-13)     
liblzo-dev (version 1.08-3)         
libopencdk8-dev (version 0.5.9-2)   
libpango1.0-dev (version 1.14.8-5)   
libpng12-dev (version 1.2.15~beta5-1)
libpopt-dev (version 1.10-3)         
libtasn1-3-dev (version 0.3.6-2)     
libtiff4-dev (version 3.8.2-7)       
libtiffxx0c2 (version 3.8.2-7)       
libxft-dev (version 2.1.8.2-8)       
libxrender-dev (version 1:0.9.1-3)   
pkg-config (version 0.21-1)         
x11proto-render-dev (version 2:0.9.2-4)

Note particularly that there are two glibs -- already a recipe for trouble.
Reminds me that when (about 2-3 years ago) for some reason I tried to compile pango, atk etc on sarge I ran into similar dependency hell, and finally gave up
WAPCE wrote:2.) Download the latest GTK 2.10 source and configure with './configure --prefix=/opt/gtk-2.10' and make/make install.

The 'latest' that I got was 2.12.0. I guess this will cause its own share of dependency problems?
After all if ff itself can change so drastically from beta 3 to 5 I would expect even more of gtk ??

So I guess its back to ff2 :-(
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Well, I'm running Gentoo and I don't have a problem building Fx2.x with GTK 2.12 so I doubt you'll have a problem building Fx3 against GTK 2.12

And I don't think you should have a problem having 2 versions of glib installed. I have 1.2.10-r5 and 2.14.6 installed side-by-side, which is very similar to the versions in your list (a 1.x and 2.x).
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Rustom P Mody

Re: gtk dependency changes from beta3 to beta5??

Post by Rustom P Mody »

Rustom P Mody wrote:I was running firefox beta3 on debian etch and waiting for the next one
Beta 5 is just out. So downloaded and tried it but I get a popup saying the following:

We're sorry, this application requires a version of the GTK+ library that is not installed on your computer.

You have GTK+ 2.8.
This application requires GTK+ 2.10 or newer.

Please upgrade your GTK+ library if you wish to use this application.

Upgrading GTK+ does not seem to be much easier than upgrading the whole OS :-(

Is there any way to get a ff3 built for gtk+ 2.8??

Thanks

Well Ive got it to work by getting a backport of gtk2.10 from http://apt.linex.org/linex/gtk-2.10/
Instructions at http://gambas.sourceforge.net/download.html
You'll have to do the gpg ... apt-key stuff to include the repo
SuzukiBR

Post by SuzukiBR »

Great tips, guys!

I didn't want to compile the GTK+ library or install a new package, so I combined the two approaches that you recommended:

wget http://apt.linex.org/linex/gtk-2.10/libgtk2.0-0_2.10.13-2~bpo.1_i386.deb
ar x ./libgtk2.0-0_2.10.13-2~bpo.1_i386.deb
tar xzf ./data.tar.gz
mkdir /opt/gtk-2.10
mv ./usr/lib /opt/gtk-2.10

Then I just copied WAPCE's script. Now I have Firefox 3 running on Debian Etch.

Thanks!
orizng

Post by orizng »

SuzukiBR wrote:Great tips, guys!

I didn't want to compile the GTK+ library or install a new package, so I combined the two approaches that you recommended:

tar xzf ./data.tar.gz
mkdir /opt/gtk-2.10

Thanks!

im stalled at "ar x ./libgtk2.0-0_2.10.13-2~bpo.1_i386.deb" bad command?
orizng

Post by orizng »

Thanks guys
i posted a guide for stock EEE pc here
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php? ... 65#p207465
SuzukiBR

Post by SuzukiBR »

orizng wrote:
SuzukiBR wrote:Great tips, guys!

tar xzf ./data.tar.gz
mkdir /opt/gtk-2.10

Thanks!

im stalled at "ar x ./libgtk2.0-0_2.10.13-2~bpo.1_i386.deb" bad command?

Maybe you don't have the binutils package. That's ok, ar is not the best command for this anyway, I just use it because of habit (I like to see everything that's inside a package). You can use this instead:

dpkg -x ./libgtk2.0-0_2.10.13-2~bpo.1_i386.deb ./

Then just skip the tar xzf command. In fact, you can skip the other commands too and just point the shell script to the lib directory that you extracted (inside ./usr - you only need lib) or move it somewhere you like and change the script accordingly. Note that I'm using relative paths in these commands. You don't need to use a root account or sudo for this, and it's best that you don't if you're not sure about what you're doing, it's safer (you certainly don't want to move /usr/lib to another place).

Cheers