Can't download this file

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
jim12345

Can't download this file

Post by jim12345 »

Hi, I've been trying to download this file that I really want and I keep getting this message in my downloads box...

Blocked: Download may contain a virus or spyware

I'm almost certain that it doesn't though. So how can make firefox so that I will be able to download this? Please help. Thank you very much.

I'm currently using Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Moving to Firefox Builds.

However, you need to ask your anti-virus/firewall/anti-malware application this question.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
jim12345

Post by jim12345 »

Thank you. I tried downloading the file with my anti-virus/anti-spyware application turned off and got the exact same message, and then I tried to download it with my firewall off and still got that same message. Is there anything that I can do with my Firefox browser to allow me to download this? Like under tools-options or something?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Link to the file ?
jim12345

Post by jim12345 »

I'm trying to download this latest version of Gimp 2.4.5

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
Last edited by jim12345 on April 4th, 2008, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AteUte52

Post by AteUte52 »

For me it did download as expected, Norton Internet Security normally active.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008040404 Minefield/3.0pre Firefox/3.0 ID:2008040404
jim12345

Post by jim12345 »

For you it worked haha, that figures.

Ok, well thanks for trying to help anyway guys.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

why are you trying to download it? just use your package manager to install it
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

He is most likely running Windows, as an Antivirus scan us being triggered. Only Windows builds do that AFAIK.

Try setting browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to false and see if that fixes the problem. This is unlikely a Firefox problem. Make sure your Antivirus software is properly installed and up to date.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
pikaunforgiven

Post by pikaunforgiven »

a screenshot may help so we can figure out what is the cause.

you could also download the gimp at other reputable sites like majorgeeks to see if the same problem persists across sites.
BipolarBear

Post by BipolarBear »

I'm running Firefox 3.0b5 on WinXP Pro SP2 and I have the same issue--many downloads I initiate with Firefox 3.0 beta 5 give me the "download may contain a virus or spyware" message. I find it extremely hard to believe that this isn't a Firefox problem since (1) It never happened to me with Firefox 2.0; (2) It happened a couple times in Firefox 3.0b4 but not nearly so often as with 3.0b5; (3) I currently have no firewall or anti-virus software installed (nor do I have malware; spare me the lecture); (4) I tried setting browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to both true and false, and the problem occurs either way; (5) The problem happens with all sorts of links, including, ironically, when I try downloading an anti-malware security suite (e.g. http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=triais).

I'm constantly having to resort to downloading with Internet Download Manager via the FlashGot extension. It's very annoying.

The GIMP 2.4.5 link did work for me, however. But it should be noted that the aforementioned error does not appear until after the Save File button is clicked. It doesn't happen as soon as the link itself is clicked.

Here is a screen shot of the Downloads window with the error having occurred twice (on the aforementioned security software link):

louie55

Post by louie55 »

jim12345 and BipolarBear, which Antivirus programs do you use? Maybe we can narrow it down to a certain AV program since it seems to work on some Firefox installs, but not all?

I'm using Avast 4.8.1169 and my downloads work fine (including the GIMP). Maybe if everyone posts their Antivirus program/version we can see a pattern.

BipolarBear wrote:It never happened to me with Firefox 2.0

As far as I know, Firefox 2 did not scan for Viruses from the download manager. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Southpaw70

RE: Can't download this file

Post by Southpaw70 »

I have experienced the same thing with both Firefox 3.0pre & Firefox 3.b5.

It started happening after I inserted turning off browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to false in about:config.

For those not experiencing, do you any of you have browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to false in about:config?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Re: RE: Can't download this file

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Southpaw70 wrote:I have experienced the same thing with both Firefox 3.0pre & Firefox 3.b5.

It started happening after I inserted turning off browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to false in about:config.

For those not experiencing, do you any of you have browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to false in about:config?

I do, and I had no problems downloading the avg file above. Using the latest hourly build here, and Norton 2008 AV, Superantispy on Vista HP SP1.
BipolarBear

Post by BipolarBear »

louie55 wrote:jim12345 and BipolarBear, which Antivirus programs do you use? Maybe we can narrow it down to a certain AV program since it seems to work on some Firefox installs, but not all?

I'm not running any AV at all right now. This is all Firefox--it isn't the result of any external virus scanner.