Moving Plugins from Build to Build

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
kendp

Post by kendp »

InvisiBill wrote:t.

I just install the latest build in the same location (after moving the old directory), and copy the plugin files from the backup directory into the directory where I just put the new build. As long as the path stays the same (i.e. C:\Firefox\Plugins), you don't need to do anything more than copy the files over.

I know that works because that is what I have been doing. What I was asking was whether there was a way to avoid copying the plugins every time you changed build.
Masticator

Post by Masticator »

](*,)

what exactly is going on here? I generally don't have this much trouble... was I off base or did I not explain it correctly. Let me know I'd love to end this pain for you. OK wait... are you not copying any other files during such "upgrade"? Assuming you are copying other files, 1 more directory really ain't all that unless you are trying to achieve something special/different? What is the root of your hesitance to copy the plugins? Not that you don't have something else in mind but if you search by modified date the process is much simplified.
kendp

Post by kendp »

Thanks for the help given me. Yesterday I downloaded djeter's 0403 build and found, to my joy, that I don't have to move plugins. I followed lyons' advice and the new build found the plugins.

I'm sure other ideas would have worked, too, but lyons' is the one I tried first because of its ease and I don't have to look further for a solution.
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

I delete the contents of my Firefox folder except the plugins folder. Then I drag my latest nightly with the right mouse button and choose "extract here." Bam, since my builds don't create a useless folder, it unpacks in the right place every time and I have nothing to copy/move/whatever.
ZenDude

Post by ZenDude »

To those who have moved the "plugins" folder to the moz profile directory, Does the "npnul32.dll" get updated each time you install a new version of FF?