What`s On My PII and How fast.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
realgeorge

What`s On My PII and How fast.

Post by realgeorge »

I have 4 builds installed on my PII: The JTw 3-27-04, MozJF 3-26-04, Djeter 3-25-04, and Nova 2-16-04. I just ran some practical speed tests using http://www.numion.com/Stopwatch/index.html? to check the page loading of my four most used sites. The results shown are the average of the four sites in order of fastest first: MozJF 4.360 sec, Nova 5.012 sec , Djeter 5.056 sec, and JTw 5.184 sec. All have the same Pipelining settings recommended by Laszlo`s post at http://snipurl.com/5d2p, and used the same dialup connection @ 44 Kbps measured at http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html. Comments?
frease

Post by frease »

Yes, when I was still using my P2 machine (before the motherboard blew a month ago :( ), I find that MozJF's builds are the fastest and most stable. That's why I highly recommend using his builds on a P2.
realgeorge

Post by realgeorge »

I certainly agree with that frease. It`s hard to beat MozJF`s builds.
alex-the-cat

Post by alex-the-cat »

how about the standard build?
Please Fold! Rage3D is a nice place to start
frease

Post by frease »

The standard build is had no special optimisations but MozJF's has (same goes for other processor-specified builds).
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

Honestly the thing that would cause the greatest variations here is your Internet connection, not the optimization flags...
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

I completely agree, but having a lightly speeder build could help sometimes ;o)
MozJF
Lohvarn

Post by Lohvarn »

Well of course it was not to say that MozJF's builds are bad, just that testing over an Internet connection (especially modem) will normally yield unreliable results ;)
realgeorge

Line Speed Variations.

Post by realgeorge »

Lohvarn wrote:Honestly the thing that would cause the greatest variations here is your Internet connection, not the optimization flags...
I do and did all my testing using the same dialup connection which does not have the wider fluctuations as having a new connection for each test. It`s about as good as I can do on dialup.
frease

Post by frease »

I have broadband 512kps and I find that having optimised builds do help, even though I do not have the statistics with me.
Lohvarn

Re: Line Speed Variations.

Post by Lohvarn »

realgeorge wrote:
Lohvarn wrote:Honestly the thing that would cause the greatest variations here is your Internet connection, not the optimization flags...
I do and did all my testing using the same dialup connection which does not have the wider fluctuations as having a new connection for each test. It`s about as good as I can do on dialup.

Yes but what about the server? How about the routers on the way? How about your ISP?
realgeorge

Fast, Faster & Fastest

Post by realgeorge »

Thanks for your comments. Any suggestions on how one could run reliable speed comparison tests using dialup.
mtigas

Post by mtigas »

Download stuff to your hard drive and then just view it from your hard drive in each browser build. That'd elminate the randomosity of using an intenret connection.

Only do it if your computer isn't so fast that you can't time it.

Hm, but doing the download thing, cache issues arise. ;p Bah, it's good enough. Better than a network-based test anywhoo.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

randomosity?

;-)
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

currently using 20040325 Firefox/0.8.0+ (djeter)

This one actually makes things useable on the ol' PII PC's running WinNT 4.0 with 128mb RAM.
Bring on the PII builds!