MozillaZine

How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder? (Solved)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ltsnow

User avatar
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Location: Valdosta, GA

Post Posted April 23rd, 2008, 5:46 pm

Now that I can't move the unsorted bookmarks folder to the top of the sidebar and hide it with my userChrome file, how can I get rid of it? It's now at the bottom and I can't delete or move it.

Solved 6-28. See the last post for the new extension.
Last edited by ltsnow on June 27th, 2008, 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wright76878
 
Posts: 653
Joined: July 9th, 2004, 8:05 am

Post Posted April 23rd, 2008, 6:34 pm

I don't think it can be deleted. Personally I don't like the new bookmark system. What I did, since I had a folder called "News" anyway I renamed the unsorted folder "News" and moved all the news links to it and then deleted the original. Simpler for me that way. Now I know the pros will shoot me down for that suggestion.

ltsnow

User avatar
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Location: Valdosta, GA

Post Posted April 23rd, 2008, 6:39 pm

wright76878 wrote:I don't think it can be deleted. Personally I don't like the new bookmark system. What I did, since I had a folder called "News" anyway I renamed the unsorted folder "News" and moved all the news links to it and then deleted the original. Simpler for me that way. Now I know the pros will shoot me down for that suggestion.


Thanks for the tip, but the darn folder stays at the bottom and I want it at the top with the other folders.

wright76878
 
Posts: 653
Joined: July 9th, 2004, 8:05 am

Post Posted April 24th, 2008, 4:49 am

It won't move. Maybe later there'll be a chrome script to fix it. Or an extension to let you customize.

Meol
 
Posts: 86
Joined: April 5th, 2008, 1:12 am

Post Posted April 24th, 2008, 11:55 am

Are you talking about the Library(= the bookmarks organizer) or the history?
I don't see that folder anywhere else than in the library itself.

wright76878
 
Posts: 653
Joined: July 9th, 2004, 8:05 am

Post Posted April 24th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Folder in the bookmarks (Favorites) menu - sidebar

Meol
 
Posts: 86
Joined: April 5th, 2008, 1:12 am

Post Posted April 24th, 2008, 2:02 pm

ahh okay sorry, i'm never using that view..now i see it too
(there should be a way to hide it with chrome .css no?)

ltsnow

User avatar
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Location: Valdosta, GA

Post Posted April 24th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Meow wrote:ahh okay sorry, i'm never using that view..now i see it too
(there should be a way to hide it with chrome .css no?)


You can easily hide the upper folders with the chrome.css, but not so easy with the bottom ones.

pommattski
 
Posts: 2
Joined: July 29th, 2006, 5:01 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted April 26th, 2008, 6:43 am

I think the concept of an Unsorted Bookmarks folder is a good one. I kept one similar of my own previously.

I also discovered for myself that it can't be moved, and in doing so, discovered that it can be copied! I then discovered that it, and it's copies can't be deleted.

I now have 4 Unsorted Bookmarks folders in my Bookmark Menu which I can't get rid of.

Should I report this as a bug somewhere else?
(Using FF3beta5 in Ubuntu 8.04 64bit)

tekstr1der
 
Posts: 69
Joined: November 23rd, 2004, 6:02 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Post Posted April 26th, 2008, 8:33 am

If there is one single thing that has tested my patience with FF3 nightly build usage it would be the Library. Formerly when you moved a root folder into Unsorted Bookmarks, the folder, and all of its contents, would simply disappear and require a new profile to be built. This has gotten slightly better now, as you have mentioned, it holds undeletable copies of those folders. Actually my one and only use for the Unsorted Bookmarks folder is to house these copies of root Library folders that I can't delete. I have several now as I have to keep testing functionality (that's part of the beta testing gig right?) but I am hoping to ride my current profile until RC1 or a definite fix lands. When I have brought this issue up previously, the bugs suggested to review were 404658 and 418592, both of which are now fixed. The only one currently blocking of any relevance to this now is 417228, but I don't see one currently filed for this specific bug. I am not a savvy bug-filer though I probably should get on the ball with that. If someone could file one for this issue that would be much appreciated. Definitely a blocker IMO.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008042606 Minefield/3.0pre

Destian
 
Posts: 81
Joined: July 3rd, 2004, 11:20 am

Post Posted April 26th, 2008, 9:36 am

tekstr1der wrote:If there is one single thing that has tested my patience with FF3 nightly build usage it would be the Library. Formerly when you moved a root folder into Unsorted Bookmarks, the folder, and all of its contents, would simply disappear and require a new profile to be built. This has gotten slightly better now, as you have mentioned, it holds undeletable copies of those folders. Actually my one and only use for the Unsorted Bookmarks folder is to house these copies of root Library folders that I can't delete. I have several now as I have to keep testing functionality (that's part of the beta testing gig right?) but I am hoping to ride my current profile until RC1 or a definite fix lands. When I have brought this issue up previously, the bugs suggested to review were 404658 and 418592, both of which are now fixed. The only one currently blocking of any relevance to this now is 417228, but I don't see one currently filed for this specific bug. I am not a savvy bug-filer though I probably should get on the ball with that. If someone could file one for this issue that would be much appreciated. Definitely a blocker IMO.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008042606 Minefield/3.0pre

I have infinitely nested Unfiled Bookmarks folders. I think I accidentally moved it inside itself at some point and now it goes on forever. I'm surprised my computer still works.

ltsnow

User avatar
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Location: Valdosta, GA

Post Posted April 26th, 2008, 11:17 am

pommattski wrote:I think the concept of an Unsorted Bookmarks folder is a good one. I kept one similar of my own previously.

I also discovered for myself that it can't be moved, and in doing so, discovered that it can be copied! I then discovered that it, and it's copies can't be deleted.

I now have 4 Unsorted Bookmarks folders in my Bookmark Menu which I can't get rid of.

Should I report this as a bug somewhere else?
(Using FF3beta5 in Ubuntu 8.04 64bit)


I also observed that if I copied it I could not delete the copies. I really don't like the unsorted bookmarks folder and wish that I could reclaim the lost sidebar real estate.

wright76878
 
Posts: 653
Joined: July 9th, 2004, 8:05 am

Post Posted April 26th, 2008, 2:22 pm

I can find no way of getting rid of those infinite copies Destian speaks of. Other than make a totally new profile. I'd sure call it a bug. FF 3 and the Minefield builds need to come with a warning: DO NOT TRY TO MOVE OR DELETE THE UNFILED BOOKMARKS FOLDER!

a;skdjfajf;ak

User avatar
 
Posts: 17002
Joined: July 10th, 2004, 8:44 am

Post Posted April 26th, 2008, 2:24 pm

wright76878 wrote:I can find no way of getting rid of those infinite copies Destian speaks of. Other than make a totally new profile. I'd sure call it a bug. FF 3 and the Minefield builds need to come with a warning: DO NOT TRY TO MOVE OR DELETE THE UNFILED BOOKMARKS FOLDER!


The issue was fixed post B5, it will no longer make multiple copies of the folder.

ltsnow

User avatar
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Location: Valdosta, GA

Post Posted April 26th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Littlemutt wrote:
wright76878 wrote:I can find no way of getting rid of those infinite copies Destian speaks of. Other than make a totally new profile. I'd sure call it a bug. FF 3 and the Minefield builds need to come with a warning: DO NOT TRY TO MOVE OR DELETE THE UNFILED BOOKMARKS FOLDER!


The issue was fixed post B5, it will no longer make multiple copies of the folder.


By gosh, you're right. You can delete a copy now.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008042606 Minefield/3.0pre Firefox/ 2.0.0.12 ID:2008042606

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests