How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder? (Solved)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wright76878

Re: How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder?

Post by wright76878 »

Alice's extension is unreadable to me. Japanese characters?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

wright76878 wrote:Alice's extension is unreadable to me. Japanese characters?

Here is the English version:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7269
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

cosgrover wrote:I haven't been able to find a way to get rid of the Unsorted Bookmarks folder, but I've found a (blindingly obvious) way of making it less of an irritant.

Right-click (or Ctrl-click on Macs) on the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. Select Properties. In the Name field press the space bar once. Now click OK.

The Unsorted Bookmarks folder's name will now be blank.

While this doesn't get rid of the damn thing, it makes it a whole lot easier to ignore.

But any ways to get rid or hide this folder properly - without requiring knowledge of Firefox coding - would be appreciated.

- Richard

Thanks for that Richard. I did it and now all I have left is a little yellow star. I can live with that.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Finally, you can hide the Unsorted Bookmarks folder in the sidebar. Here is the new extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7884
wright76878

Re: How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder? (Solved)

Post by wright76878 »

ltsnow wrote:Finally, you can hide the Unsorted Bookmarks folder in the sidebar. Here is the new extension:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7884">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7884</a><!-- m -->
This extension didn't work for me. First I had to save it using IE and then drag it into the Addons box. It makes duplicates of the folder. Instead of deleting them.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

wright76878 wrote:
ltsnow wrote:Finally, you can hide the Unsorted Bookmarks folder in the sidebar. Here is the new extension:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7884">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7884</a><!-- m -->
This extension didn't work for me. First I had to save it using IE and then drag it into the Addons box. It makes duplicates of the folder. Instead of deleting them.

Not sure why. It works fine for me.
cosgrover

Post by cosgrover »

This extension doesn't work for me either.

The support thread is at viewtopic.php?f=48&t=703575, for posting bug reports.

- Richard
nabilalk

Re:

Post by nabilalk »

Bluefang wrote:You could open up the places.sqlite database and change the 'parent' field of the Unsorted Bookmarks record to be the id of another folder record.

Unfortunately the parent folder for the Unsorted Bookmarks and the Bookmarks menu is the same. This is probably not the solution, any other ideas?

I'm new to places.sqlite editing (and used sqlite manager extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817, what do I need to change to make the Unsorted Bookmarks folder show up in the Bookmarks Menu?

I tried to just drag it into the bookmarks menu, but then it isnt updated when a new Unsorted Bookmark is saved.
tetzy

Post by tetzy »

Thanks Itsnow, how bloody queer is it that you have to author an extension to do something so basic?

I hate to whinge, but 3.0 is starting to bug the hell out of me - here's another irk: why in the name of God would they mess with the sort order of form information? What possible purpose could there have been?...I mean other than screwing with my head?

Sheesh. :!:
ol01

Post by ol01 »

Hello. I also think the Unsorted Bookmarks folder must be editable/removable/customizable/etc.
Mozilla should do this ASAP.
I have found 2 ways of dealing with the Unsorted Bookmarks thing, though it does not delete it:

1. FF extension called "Unsorted Bookmarks Folder Menu https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7269, created by White Alice0775. It is very very good and useful, though it does not delete this folder, it makes it appear in the general folder list. At least now my wife does not ask me where the bookmarks go when the star is clicked :-)
...or...
2. Another very simple but useful trick was discovered by this person in his blog: Firefox 3: Creating a shortcut to 'Unsorted Bookmarks' http://blog.xshock.de/browsers/79/firef ... n-bar-star It neither deletes the annoying folder but at least it makes it a bit more useful.

Generally, MOZILLA made a great job with Firefox 3. It is almost perfect, to my mind. The only thing I do not like is the bookmarks system. And the thing I hate is that Unsorted Bookmarks folder can not be customized at all. So, if somebody finds the way to DELETE Unsorted Bookmarks, that will be FANTASTIC!

Best regards.

PS: I know that this post does not answer the thread question at all, but I think, more posts on this issue appear, faster Mozilla will realize the changes to make in the next Firefox update.
procrustes

Post by procrustes »

You CAN delete the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. Unfortunately, many of the responses to this dilemma are poorly written or incompletely explained. Here's what to do. By the way, I just did this using FireFox 3.5, however I believe this will work on 3.0 as well.

1. Using your Firefox browser go to this url

2. Download and install the firefox addon. Firefox spawns a download window and shows you when the download is complete.

3. When the download is complete and installed, close all instances of the firefox browser.

4. Open Firefox, on the menu bar, flick on "Tools" and select "manage add ons." The addon you just added, called "Sidebar Bookmark Selector" will be shown along with an "Options" button.
Click on Options. An Option window will spawn showing three options (all of them will be checked). UNCHECK both the "Bookmarks Toolbar" and "Unsorted Bookmarks" options.
Click on OK and close the Firefox browser.

5. When you reopen the firefox browser the Bookmarks Toolbar folder (usually at the top) and the Unsorted Bookmarks folder (usually at the bottom) will be gone!!! Let me know how this works at procrustes99@yahoo.com. Good luck. ......NOW...if anyone knows how to delete that stupid little search box that appears at the top of the bookmarks list...LOL. Ciao.
nabilalk

Post by nabilalk »

procrustes wrote:You CAN delete the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. Unfortunately, many of the responses to this dilemma are poorly written or incompletely explained. Here's what to do. By the way, I just did this using FireFox 3.5, however I believe this will work on 3.0 as well.

2. Download and install the firefox addon. Firefox spawns a download window and shows you when the download is complete.

3. When the download is complete and installed, close all instances of the firefox browser.

4. Open Firefox, on the menu bar, flick on "Tools" and select "manage add ons." The addon you just added, called "Sidebar Bookmark Selector" will be shown along with an "Options" button.
Click on Options. An Option window will spawn showing three options (all of them will be checked). UNCHECK both the "Bookmarks Toolbar" and "Unsorted Bookmarks" options.

5. When you reopen the firefox browser the Bookmarks Toolbar folder (usually at the top) and the Unsorted Bookmarks folder (usually at the bottom) will be gone!!! Let me know how this works at procrustes99@yahoo.com. Good luck. ......NOW...if anyone knows how to delete that stupid little search box that appears at the top of the bookmarks list...LOL. Ciao.

After you delete the unsorted folder, can you unistall the addon?
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

procrustes wrote:You CAN delete the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. Unfortunately, many of the responses to this dilemma are poorly written or incompletely explained. Here's what to do. By the way, I just did this using FireFox 3.5, however I believe this will work on 3.0 as well.

Thanks for your help. Your method is the one that I mention just above. To get rid of the search box in the sidebar just add this to your UserChrome file:

/* Hide the Sidebar bookmarks Search box */
#bookmarksPanel > hbox { display:none;
}
Negativeions

Re: How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder? (Solved

Post by Negativeions »

Can I somehow change the default location of where bookmarks gets stored when I click on the star? I want my bookmarks to go directly to the bookmarks menu when I click the star. Customization!
Beeblebrox3

Re: How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder? (Solved

Post by Beeblebrox3 »

Hi Procrustes,

I installed the add-on but it made no difference to the bookmarks menu.

My bookmarks are displayed as a menu when I click the icon in the toolbar (a menu opens up right under it).

I deselected 'unsorted bookmarks' in the add-on's options however it made no difference to my bookmark menu, or the menu when I go to save a bookmark. The unsorted bookmark folder shows up in both cases and is still my default folder to save bookmarks.

I would like to make the 'bookmark menu' folder my default folder to save bookmarks and get rid of the 'unsorted bookmark' folder altogether in all cases.

I don't know if this is not working because my bookmarks show up as a menu below the icon and not as a sidebar. I used to have it as a sidebar in my last installation but do not know how to set that (I like the menu under the icon better anyway).

Anyway appreciate any info or help. Thanks.

---

Btw you can delete that 'stupid little searchbox'; the google searchbox on the right side of toolbar, by just going to: view -> toolbars -> customize and then drag the searchbox into the customize toolbar window. You can add extra space on the right side by dragging a bunch of spaces to it.