How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder? (Solved)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wright76878

Post by wright76878 »

Newest build, right. Just can't delete the original.
endolith

Post by endolith »

Anyone know how to move things INTO the Unsorted Bookmarks folder? I already had a folder for this, and now I'd like to put its contents inside the dedicated system folder
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

In the right pane of the Library, select (control/shift click on windows) the items you want to move and drag them to the Unfiled folder.
endolith

Post by endolith »

bomfog wrote:In the right pane of the Library, select (control/shift click on windows) the items you want to move and drag them to the Unfiled folder.

Don't you think I would have tried that? It doesn't work, which is why I'm asking here.
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

endolith wrote:Don't you think I would have tried that?

Seems to WFM, as does cut and paste, from a toolbar or Bookmark Menu folder to Unfiled. Apparently your mileage varies. Good luck.

Safe mode, clean profile, open Library -> Bookmarks Menu -> Mozilla Firefox folder, select the four entries, drag to Unsorted (AKA Unfiled) Bookmarks. Q.E.D.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008042910 Minefield/3.0pre - Build ID: 2008042910
endolith

Post by endolith »

1. Run firefox in safe mode
2. Open bookmarks library
3. Navigate to All Bookmarks --> Bookmarks Menu --> Unorganized
3. Select a bookmark or two and drag from right pane into Unsorted Bookmarks.
4. After releasing mouse, dragged bookmarks move back into right-hand pane and are not added to the Unsorted Bookmarks folder.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008041514 Firefox/3.0b5
ton85

Post by ton85 »

Is there any way to move the "unsorted bookmarks" folder to a more accessible place? At least include it in the regular bookmark view. I'm using build 5/12/2008 and the only way to access it is to open the bookmarks manager.

Also, is it possible to change the default location where Firefox stores the "one-click" bookmarks? Instead of saving it in the "unsorted bookmarks" folder, maybe they could be stored in the bookmarks menu (without any folders).

Thank You
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

I'm building an extension that will show this folder in the bookmarks menu. Keep an eye out in the Extension/Theme release forum
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

You could open up the places.sqlite database and change the 'parent' field of the Unsorted Bookmarks record to be the id of another folder record.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Alice0775

a small extension

Post by Alice0775 »

Here, I created a small extension. It shows "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder in bookmarks menu.
https://addons.mozilla.org/ja/firefox/addon/7269
cosgrover

Post by cosgrover »

Just to throw this thread back on topic: is there any way to move the Unsorted Bookmarks folder in the sidebar from the bottom of the bookmarks list to the top?

Better still is there a way to get rid of it - either deleting or making it invisible?

For me, it's a pointless irritation.

Thanks.

- Richard
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

cosgrover wrote:Just to throw this thread back on topic: is there any way to move the Unsorted Bookmarks folder in the sidebar from the bottom of the bookmarks list to the top?

Better still is there a way to get rid of it - either deleting or making it invisible?

For me, it's a pointless irritation.

Thanks.

- Richard

Thanks Richard for coming back to my original question.
cosgrover

Re: How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder?

Post by cosgrover »

I haven't been able to find a way to get rid of the Unsorted Bookmarks folder, but I've found a (blindingly obvious) way of making it less of an irritant.

Right-click (or Ctrl-click on Macs) on the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. Select Properties. In the Name field press the space bar once. Now click OK.

The Unsorted Bookmarks folder's name will now be blank.

While this doesn't get rid of the damn thing, it makes it a whole lot easier to ignore.

But any ways to get rid or hide this folder properly - without requiring knowledge of Firefox coding - would be appreciated.

- Richard
Bozz

Re: How to delete or hide unsorted bookmarks folder?

Post by Bozz »

Well I'll be. I was trying everything but the spacebar. I even renamed it ` but that was still a little visible. Thanks cosgrover. The space is there but any other visual is gone and thats okay by me. :)
BernG

Re: a small extension

Post by BernG »

Alice0775 wrote:Here, I created a small extension. It shows "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder in bookmarks menu.
https://addons.mozilla.org/ja/firefox/addon/7269

Thank you.

I get more info from this forum than from all the tons documentation or any other forum. :D