latest "tinderbox" -> Extension install problem

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

latest "tinderbox" -> Extension install problem

Post by joeg »

Hi,

This morning I downloaded and "installed" both
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... -win32.zip -> 6918 KB-17.04.04-06:39:00 and the tinderbox build just before it, which still had the date 16.04.04.

I was unable to install the "Smooth Wheel" extension in either one. The xpi file would download, I got the "Install Now" dialogue box, but that was the end.

I got rid of both of them and just now started to use the 16.04 official nightly build. Installing Smoothwheel worked fine.

I understand what the "tinderbox" builds are, and this is NOT a "complaint". I just wanted to bring it to people's attention.

Joe

P.S. Is there a verb that is used instead of "install" in regard to "zip" files? I'm aware of the expression "unzip into the ... directory", but it's quite cumbersone.

P.P.S. Is there any way to "hand install" an xpi file?
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
../frank

Re: latest "tinderbox" -> Extension install pro

Post by ../frank »

JoeG wrote:P.S. Is there a verb that is used instead of "install" in regard to "zip" files? I'm aware of the expression "unzip into the ... directory", but it's quite cumbersone.

extract :?:
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

../frank wrote:
JoeG wrote:P.S. Is there a verb that is used instead of "install" in regard to "zip" files? I'm aware of the expression "unzip into the ... directory", but it's quite cumbersone.

extract :?:

Thanks, but does "extract" alone explain the complete concept: "I unzipped the file and <u>extracted</u> all the sub-files into the directory xxx, so that I can now use the program"?

I guess what I meant to ask was whether there's a verb used in regard to zip files that carries all the implications that "install" has for .exe files.

Joe
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
../frank

Post by ../frank »

JoeG wrote:I guess what I meant to ask was whether there's a verb used in regard to zip files that carries all the implications that "install" has for .exe files.Joe

Not really. 8) Perhaps you should use "unzip".

To add to your confusion :? I use Linux about 99.44% of the time where there are no "dot-exe" files. As to why I suggested "extract", here are the first few lines of the "usage" message from a popular unzip program in Linux:

$ unzip
UnZip 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP. Maintained by C. Spieler. Send
bug reports to the authors at Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu; see README for details.

Usage: unzip [-Z] [-opts[modifiers]] file[.zip] [list] [-x xlist] [-d exdir]
Default action is to extract files in list, except those in xlist, to exdir;
file[.zip] may be a wildcard. -Z => ZipInfo mode ("unzip -Z" for usage).

Good luck in your search for semantic perfection. :)
../frank
joeg

Re: latest "tinderbox" -> Ext. install problem

Post by joeg »

../frank wrote:
JoeG wrote:I guess what I meant to ask was whether there's a verb used in regard to zip files that carries all the implications that "install" has for .exe files.

Perhaps you should use "unzip".... Here are the first few lines of the "usage" message from a popular unzip program in Linux:
Usage: unzip [-Z] [-opts[modifiers]] file[.zip] [list] [-x xlist] [-d exdir]
Default action is to extract files in list, except those in xlist, to exdir;
file[.zip] may be a wildcard. -Z => ZipInfo mode ("unzip -Z" for usage).

Good luck in your search for semantic perfection. :)

Hmmm, I wasn't really looking for "semantic perfection", I just wanted to make my postings a bit more precise. Is it <i><b>wrong</b></i> to use "install" in reference to the Firefox builds extracted from the zip files ...?

Joe
P.S. I find simple concepts like "right" and "wrong" perversely comforting but only in certain contexts. :crazyeyes:
GCG

Same problem with the 20040417 Mac version of FFx

Post by GCG »

I reinstalled the "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040416 Firefox/0.8.0+" version and my extensions now install and function properly again.
joeg

Re: Same problem with the 20040417 Mac version of FFx

Post by joeg »

GCG wrote:I reinstalled the "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040416 Firefox/0.8.0+" version and my extensions now install and function properly again.

Yes, I had to reinstall the 16 Apr build and then everything was OK for me again, too.

Does tha mean you also had problems installing an extension in the 17 Apr tinderbox build?
Pike

Post by Pike »

Confirmed on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040417 Firefox/0.8.0+

:-(
ByTor201

Post by ByTor201 »

I have filed bug 240811 on this regression.
GCG

FFX Extension Regression

Post by GCG »

ByTor201 wrote:I have filed bug 240811 on this regression.

Thanks!
../frank

Re: latest "tinderbox" -> Ext. install problem

Post by ../frank »

JoeG wrote:Hmmm, I wasn't really looking for "semantic perfection", I just wanted to make my postings a bit more precise. Is it <i><b>wrong</b></i> to use "install" in reference to the Firefox builds extracted from the zip files ...?

Joe
P.S. I find simple concepts like "right" and "wrong" perversely comforting but only in certain contexts. :crazyeyes:

I was trying to be funny. I guess I failed. :oops:
../frank
GCG

Post by GCG »

ByTor201 wrote:I have filed bug 240811 on this regression.

Hi, I've posted an attachment to your bug report.
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

I can confirm this bug also. Extensions started installing again after I went back to the build from 04-16-2004
LJ
My best friend is my wife!!
Political Realities