11-12 build problem?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
penrou

11-12 build problem?

Post by penrou »

I'm running the 1112 build of Phoenix, and I notice that certain webpages seem to crash Phoenix now (that did not before). In particular, www.rpgworld.com causes Phoenix to crash when it is nearly done loading.

I suspect that it has to do with the top "keenspace" bar, as similar websites (www.itswalky.com, www.crfh.net, etc.) also have the same problem.

System is a p3-500 laptop, build information - "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021112 Phoenix/0.4". I've done a fresh install and used a new profile, to no effect.

Am I the only one with this problem?

penrou
mlafranc

Post by mlafranc »

While I wasn't able to load www.rpgworld.com (network problem, not phoenix problem)

I was able to load www.crfh.net, it took a while due to the large images, but narry a crash there be.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021112 Phoenix/0.4

I will however say that I use a filtering firewall to block ads, I'd love to get bannerblind working on phoenix, but so far no dice.

Also, Java is turned off, being pretty usless.

System is a 566 MHz Celeron/II compaq laptop, 30 MB ram for windows 95 to play with, (2 MB of SDRAM set aside for video)

Well, no problems here, perhaps your browser recognized those pages as tasteless crap and barfed acordingly. :)

Twiddle your DIMMs or your SIMMs sir!
Ted Mielczarek

My guess

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

My guess is that you have Macromedia Flash Player 5. Go install version 6, and it should fix this problem. I had the same problem, and updating solved it. Of course, you can't just go to macromedia's site to fix it, because they have flash on their page. You might need to uninstall the plugin then go download the new one.
penrou

Re: My guess

Post by penrou »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:My guess is that you have Macromedia Flash Player 5. Go install version 6, and it should fix this problem. I had the same problem, and updating solved it. Of course, you can't just go to macromedia's site to fix it, because they have flash on their page. You might need to uninstall the plugin then go download the new one.

Thanks, you were absolutely right! I wasn't aware of this problem in the least; I've had Flash 6 on my desktop for awhile and wondered why I couldn't reproduce the problem there.

And in response to mlafranc, I would imagine that unless Phoenix gains a conscious mind of its own at some point in the future, it probably won't have any effect on my browsing habits. Instead, perhaps you might consider replacing Phoenix as my very own personal web browser—that way I pose no further threat to mankind through the viewing of tasteless webpages. ;)

penrou
(ps: it was rpgworldcomic.com...my mistake.)