Reduce Phoenix Size: Use RAR!

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
fxer

Reduce Phoenix Size: Use RAR!

Post by fxer »

Man, just compressing phoenix with RAR instead of ZIP saves over 900k on the file size. Most people who run phoenix know how to use rar, and most people will never even realize it is any different from a ZIP file anyways. So why not lighten the bandwidth load by using RAR?
DamianMoran

Post by DamianMoran »

Use tar.gzip with an installer :P smaller than both.
seb

Post by seb »

DamianMoran wrote:Use tar.gzip with an installer :P smaller than both.
Using bzip2 with an installer is even better.

Besides, the best compression format out there is 7z, AFAIK. There are plan to support it in NSIS2, so the unofficial Phoenix installer should support it sooner or later.

Anyway, fxer, .zip is still the most common compression format on Windows (and it's handled by default on WindowsXP). Since Phoenix is targetted for normal users (those who don't even know what .rar is), it makes sense to use .zip, even if the files are a bit bigger.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

March 14 Phoenix.exe, original size:

Inside the nightly Zip Archive

EXE compressed with UPX 1.24 for Windows:
(using --best parameter)

Conclusion: Compress with UPX before zipping. You get the benefit of better compression than zip, but it's transparent to the end user.
seb

Post by seb »

No, we already talked about UPX. Sure, it makes the file to download a bit smaller (well, ~250KB smaller when compressed with bzip2, it's not that bad, I must agree. I made this test on dec. 2, it may have changed since). But it also makes the program use a lot more of RAM.
Since normal users download Phoenix only once (or each time there is a milestone, which isn't really often these days), they would have a smaller download, but a slower program.
Not really a good idea, if you ask me.

That said, UPX can be useful for programs you don't use often: I'm using it for the installer itself, for example.
Last edited by seb on March 14th, 2003, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seb

Post by seb »

By the way,
Neil Parks wrote:EXE compressed with UPX 1.24 for Windows:
(using --best parameter)
If you really want to reduce the size, use UPX to compress the DLLs too.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

This whole thing has been discussed to death already. To sum up: there is no point in just reducing download size, it's application performance that matters. Using upx to pack the binaries actually increases the memory footprint, so that doesn't help either. Zip is pretty much a standard across all platforms.

If you really want to make it smaller, contribute patches to the source.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
seb

Post by seb »

And just in case you want to read the previous discussions:
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1677 (with diffs of size and RAM/VM usage)
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... hlight=upx
willll

Post by willll »

Better compression = more processor time. A lot of people are using phoenix have very slow computers and it is hell waiting for a bz2 or rar file to decompress.
Here are some comparasions:

phoenix.7z: 5,461,782 bytes
phoenix.rar: 5,586,417 bytes
phoenix.tar.bz2: 6,043,850 bytes
phoenix.tar.gz: 6,226,364 bytes
phoenix.zip: 6,347,789 bytes

Also rar sucks because its proprietary (at least I think so).
fxer

Post by fxer »

When i posted the topic, I was only referring to compressing for the act of download the file, not running the file in some sort of compressed format that uses more processor/RAM. Seeing as Phoenix is beta software so mostly techie geeks like us use it, why not compress the download file with RAR or something similar to save some time, the people using Phoenix at the moment all know how to handle RAR. When Phoenix is released, a RAR file with the frontend installer could be the best option, but face it, ZIP should go the way of the Floppy drive and Paralell ATA hard drives. Everything else in computers evolves, why not our preferred compression format?
fxer

Post by fxer »

As for waiting for a RAR file to decompress, it's not really an issue unless you are using a 386. And as for it sucking because it is proprietary, the unRAR source code is free. Not that it matters, the argument that something sucks simply because it is closed-source is ignorant at best.
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

We'll RAR a special one just for you.
tmkt

Post by tmkt »

fxer wrote:As for waiting for a RAR file to decompress, it's not really an issue unless you are using a 386. And as for it sucking because it is proprietary, the unRAR source code is free. Not that it matters, the argument that something sucks simply because it is closed-source is ignorant at best.

If we are going to mention waiting for RAR to decompress not being an issue unless you have a 386...
Waiting for phoenix to download an extra 900k, really isn't a issue either unless you're using 14.4 dialup.

Most people have high speed at home, work or school....I never find myself sitting here waiting for phoenix to download, and if I did i would find it would be more of a pain if I had to go find and dl RAR, afterwards.
willll

Post by willll »

fxer wrote:As for waiting for a RAR file to decompress, it's not really an issue unless you are using a 386. And as for it sucking because it is proprietary, the unRAR source code is free. Not that it matters, the argument that something sucks simply because it is closed-source is ignorant at best.
On my old Pentium II, phoenix takes about 45 seconds to unzip, during which it is not possible to do anything else on the computer. I don't even want to try unraring anything. Also, I was aware that you could unrar files using opensource software as my open-source compression client, 7zip, reads rars. But I don't see the point in using a propitary compression formula over an open one which has a bettter compression ratio! Also, not everybody who uses Phoenix is a geek, and would not know what to do with any file besides zip
Aqua.

Post by Aqua. »

I'm on a modem connection and would definitely appreciate a downloadable file that is 900kb smaller. That's a signifigant time saving for me.