Mail Button

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Paul_Vandenberg

Mail Button

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Hi,

I noticed that the Windows builds of Firefox have had the mail toolbar button for a while now, but the Linux builds don't. Will the mail button be part of the Linux version sometime?

Thanks.
pckilla

Post by pckilla »

That mail button is good idea, but I don't like that it opens new Thunderbird instead of maximizing that I already have opened with Thundertray :\
Julan

Re: Mail Button

Post by Julan »

Paul_Vandenberg wrote:Hi,

I noticed that the Windows builds of Firefox have had the mail toolbar button for a while now, but the Linux builds don't. Will the mail button be part of the Linux version sometime?

Thanks.

i don't think so, i think there is an intergration problem within linux holding back such button, there is a standard way of getting the "default" mail client through the registry on windows yet one does not exist on linux.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

True - on Linux, the browser would have to rely on the GNOME MIME type registry, and the devs probably haven't quite decided how much connection they want Firefox to have with GNOME (they already use gnomevfs).
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Paul_Vandenberg

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Actually, what I've done is create an Internet Service called 'mail' in the GNOME Control Panel. It's set to launch Evolution. I then created a bookmark on the bookmark bar with the URL being 'mail:' and voila, Evolution launches when I click it. I just think the mail button on the toolbar is a little more elegant than my jury-rigging solution. I guess beggars can't be choosers.