maybe stupid question: difference between branch and trunk?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

the-me wrote:Okay, I'm getting it (blurry? you bet! :-) ). So I have written a little summary about what I think I know know

Well you're getting close :)
... [list]
[*] as far as I know the core trunk will be converted - in a mid-term time range - from holding the complete suite to holding the standalone applications, so firefox, thunderbird, etc. will become the core trunk, and the whole suite will not be developed any longer (except maybe in separate branches)

This point in your list and the couple that follow aren't quite right. The trunk and each branches all have all of the code for the complete suite as well as the standalone applications (and also a bunch of other stuff). When someone makes a build, they specify which program they are trying to build, and the build process takes the right bits of code for that program.

[*] builds from the AVIARY tree should be labeled just so, because they're not a branch build (which would be 0.8+), neither a trunk build (which would be from the core trunk)

one last question is remaining: with a branch firefox build, which tree is taken? this should be - to my understanding - the release version of 0.8 just with more patches applied, right?

"a branch build" isn't a specific term. A while ago, people would probably have been talking about the Firefox 0.8 branch, which ended when Firefox 0.8 was released. After that, they probably would mean a Firefox build from 1.7 branch. If anyone says it now, they would probably be talking about the aviary branch. "branch build" is a general term which can apply to any branch. However, there is usually just one branch which is of interest, so if someone talks about "a" branch build, it's usually obvious that they are talking about the branch that's currently being used most.
the-me

Post by the-me »

all right. now I got it - thank you!

\:D/
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

So, I thought there would be Firefox and Thunderbird builds off the trunk, off "aviary", and maybe also off the 1.7 branch. Is this not true?
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

sasquatch wrote:So, I thought there would be Firefox and Thunderbird builds off the trunk, off "aviary", and maybe also off the 1.7 branch. Is this not true?

Off the trunk, yes, and off "aviary" also. Official 1.7-branch Firefox builds haven't been set up, and I can't imagine why they would be.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

I would imagine trunk builds would stop soon.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

vfwlkr wrote:I would imagine trunk builds would stop soon.

Well that happened before for a shorter time, but I can't see the sense in that. People will carry on making changes to the back-end code that Firefox depends on. If there are no builds, then Firefox would get broken and problems wouldn't get picked up. Then when Firefox was done with on the branch, there would be a lot of work to do just to get things working again.

Of course, Ben could just kill the installer nightlies and rely on unofficial builds, zip builds and other platforms to keep the testing ticking over...
rajivvarma

Post by rajivvarma »

Hello:

How do I tell which release I have downloaded, i.e. branch or trunk? Is it in help>about Mozilla Firefox?
Mook

Post by Mook »

rajivvarma:

In Help -> About, look near the bottom for something like:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040610 Firefox/0.8.0+

Currently, branch is 1.7; trunk is 1.8a2.

... I imagine the definitions listed before will now need to change on account of <abbr title="Extension Manager">EM</abbr> showing up on the branch first; that's been covered elsewhere in this forum though.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Silly question: Is there a branch for Mozilla Browser ("Seamonkey" Suite) builds, or are they just off the trunk?
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

sasquatch wrote:Silly question: Is there a branch for Mozilla Browser ("Seamonkey" Suite) builds, or are they just off the trunk?
There's the 1.7 branch, on which security releases and the forthcoming 1.7.x feature-release will be based. 1.8 alpha builds come from the trunk. So I would guess that there are both branch and trunk nightlies at the moment.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Here's another "stupid question", but not so stupid for newbies to FF (of which I am) :oops: . I tried one of the M3 optimized builds from Moox, and I see it has no installer. It works fine, but the problem is some extensions are not working since it was never really "installed". Does anyone know a way around this please?
Thanks.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Someone just PM'd me with this to try, but it didn't work:

i'll be honest with you, this is a very quick and dirty method of doing that;
i'm not even sure if i would recommend it to a newbie if anything does wrong.

BUT here we go anyway;
1. download the latest official build with an installer.
2. install firefox.
3. download moox build.
4. replace files in your firefox directory (most likely c:/program files/...) with the moox build.
5. install the plugins you need.

this may break things, so please only use this method as a last resort.
take care, hope it helps!

Reply:
Thanks for the email, I just tried that and it didn't work. :-({|= I previously had .9.3 on this PC and just overwrote it in the Program Files folder with the contents of the Moox build, same thing. I'm going to install a new HD in the next day or so, so it's not that big of an issue now if something gets screwed up. However on the new HD I'm still going to have to figure out how to get this Moox build "installed". I emailed him early today, will see what he says if he replies. I'll add this info to the thread.
Thanks for trying,
-Clint
God Bless,
-Clint
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Greg K Nicholson wrote:A diagram I whipped up (v2)
The release dates of Firefox relative to Thunderbird are just guesses.

"the page cannot be found"

:-(
MechanicalMan

Post by MechanicalMan »

sasquatch wrote:"the page cannot be found"

May Tue 18th 2004 12:15pm
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

What did you expect for a thread brought back from the dead ?
Nick Thomas - Mozilla Release Engineer