maybe stupid question: difference between branch and trunk?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
the-me

Post by the-me »

Well, what works *really* well is:

- get installer for firefox
- install with installer
- download moox build
- zip firefox directory (usually c:\program files\firefox or something)
- DELETE firefox directory
- unpack moox build (in this case to c:\program files)
- OPTIONAL: if original firefox directory was NOT named "firefox" rename the unpacked directory

this works perfectly for me. DON'T simply unpack a moox build over an already existing firefox directory!! this WILL lead to problems. (as I found out). and if the newer build is too unstable (happens from time to time) simply delete the directory and unzip the original one again.

hth.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

CrazyFred wrote:What did you expect for a thread brought back from the dead ?

I guess I expected the page to be found. I was attempting to let the person know they need to fix it.

:eyeroll2:
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

I'm currently away at university. When I get back home it'll be at the top of my to-do list.
Powersurge

Post by Powersurge »

Something else, but related; this might be a good thread to ask this: What's actually gonna happen to Firefox once it lands on the trunk ? What will be done code-wise ? In which way will what we see in the nightlies change ? Will it stay with the trunk for a while, or is it expected to branch off again soon for a 1.1 (1.2 .... 1.5 .... whatever) release ?
Firefox. To burn or not to be.
chrisblore

Post by chrisblore »

Will it stay with the trunk for a while, or is it expected to branch off again soon for a 1.1 (1.2 .... 1.5 .... whatever) release ?

From what I understand the 1.1 release will be from the trunk and will be mainly a 'clear-up' release with fixes incorporated from the Aviary branch and the trunk.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

chrisblore wrote:
Will it stay with the trunk for a while, or is it expected to branch off again soon for a 1.1 (1.2 .... 1.5 .... whatever) release ?

From what I understand the 1.1 release will be from the trunk and will be mainly a 'clear-up' release with fixes incorporated from the Aviary branch and the trunk.

I think it's unlikely that they'd actually release directly from the trunk. I would imagine they'll either use the 1.8 branch when that happens, or they'll make a special branch for Firefox 1.1 from the trunk. But the idea is to be back on the trunk for a while in order to do the merging and fix ups, and I imagine that the branch would be a much shorter term thing, like previous branches, rather than a long parallel effort like the aviary branch.
chrisblore

Post by chrisblore »

michaell wrote:
chrisblore wrote:

I think it's unlikely that they'd actually release directly from the trunk. I would imagine they'll either use the 1.8 branch when that happens, or they'll make a special branch for Firefox 1.1 from the trunk. But the idea is to be back on the trunk for a while in order to do the merging and fix ups, and I imagine that the branch would be a much shorter term thing, like previous branches, rather than a long parallel effort like the aviary branch.
That would probably make more sense on reflection because development could then be continued more easily on the trunk without closing the entire tree every five minutes in anticipation of the 1.1 release.
Powersurge

Post by Powersurge »

So 1.1 would pretty much be 1.0 with all the things that have happened in the trunk since Aviary branched off last spring, something like "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.5) Gecko/20050228 Firefox/1.1" ?
Firefox. To burn or not to be.
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

That's the idea. Bringing the two together will be traumatic as quite alot of code has forked on the branch.
Nick Thomas - Mozilla Release Engineer