Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
mgosdin

Re: Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Post by mgosdin »

Steviex hit it square on the head.

Calm, Reasoned, Clear discussion is effective when dealing with Firefox's Devs.

If you can do that, and avoid as much as possible the emotional arguments like appear in so many internet forums, then posting to the Firefox Development Group is the thing to do.

The Devs are good folks, they've just been wooled a bit too much.
Mark Gosdin
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mgosdin wrote:... then posting to the Firefox Development Group is the thing to do.

The Devs are good folks, they've just been wooled a bit too much.

mgosdin, much as I appreciate your time and efforts here - http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla. ... 41839877fe I have to tell you that this thread does not read well at all.

Plus, your 'The Devs are good folks' bit is as misguided a generalisation as those made about MozillaZine, which I noted, the subject of which made up about 50%+ of the discussion there. To what end? Views expressed here are the same as are being expressed on every single vaguely browser related forum on the Net.

I know of at least a couple of devs who I would genuinely class as 'good guys', but I wouldn't dream of extrapolating that to include all, without evidence of same. People are individuals and should be judged as that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

Although I welcome the "New Tab" option coming back, it appears to be a case of one step forward and then two steps back. I am of course referring to the decision to force users to have the tab bar shown ALL THE TIME, even with just a single tab open. At the moment you can turn this behaviour off in the options--->tabs menu by unticking "always show the tab bar". However, they are now REMOVING this option.

Why? Why are they trying to force users to browse in the way that they want? I don't want the tab bar open with just one tab open, and I don't see why I should be forced to?
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Looks like another extension is in order. :roll:
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
steviex

Post by steviex »

One in, one out :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Kernel Sanders wrote:you can turn this behaviour off in the options--->tabs menu by unticking "always show the tab bar". However, they are now REMOVING this option.

We are? Do you have a link to where that decision was made?

AFAICT it was decided to keep that option and even the patch for changing the tab bar to a customizable toolbar (in bug 347930) preserves it.
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

zeniko wrote:
Kernel Sanders wrote:you can turn this behaviour off in the options--->tabs menu by unticking "always show the tab bar". However, they are now REMOVING this option.

We are? Do you have a link to where that decision was made?

AFAICT it was decided to keep that option and even the patch for changing the tab bar to a customizable toolbar (in bug 347930) preserves it.

I read a recent comment by "Dão Gottwald" from Mozilla that said it would be removed. Are you able to confirm that you won't be removing the "always show the tab bar" option? Because if you're not that would be awesome and I would be very very delighted with all at Mozilla for listening once again to the users =D>
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Kernel Sanders wrote:Are you able to confirm that you won't be removing the "always show the tab bar" option?

No, I just don't know of any plans to change the status quo in that regard.

And if I knew, I'd be trying to find out when and why that decision was made and see if our UI team indeed has good reasons for it. If done kindly enough on IRC or in the newsgroups, you'll actually notice "Mozilla" listening to you (just try to remain respectful should your wish not be granted after all).
asteko

Post by asteko »