Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Post by Omega X »

sld wrote:One solution is mentioned in paragraph 3.

Another solution is to actually take into account user comments on new features in Mozillazine threads about nightlies. Many people here have many 2 cents to add.

More like a $1.50.

The new tab button and the always on Tab Bar is rubbing a few people the wrong way. I'm pretty sure that Ben Goodger and the Chrome team had a lot more time in working out the interface issues.
szhorvat

Post by szhorvat »

Here's the prime reason why I find the lack of a toolbar new tab button (with no tab bar shown) very annoying (this is specific to how I use the browser, so other people might not have this particular annoyance):

I commonly drag URLs to the new tab button to open them in a new tab. This functionality is lost with removing the new tab button from the toolbar. (URLs can be dragged to the tabbar, but this doesn't work when the tabbar is hidden. Middle click works with links, but I'm talking about plain URLs that are not links, such as URLs posted on forums or appearing in e-mails. E.g. Gmail's iGoogle interface does not linkify URLs.)

I appreciated the attention to little details in Firefox, such as good drag and drop support. Please don't ruin this. Try to improve on it instead, e.g. make the page scroll when dragging something to the top or bottom edge.
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

Kernel Sanders wrote:Anyway, one of my first tasks when setting up firefox is to go to view--->toolbars---->customise and add the "new tab" button to the toolbar, just to the right of the home button.

Ditto
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
Robanybody

Post by Robanybody »

MeCasa wrote:
Kernel Sanders wrote:Anyway, one of my first tasks when setting up firefox is to go to view--->toolbars---->customise and add the "new tab" button to the toolbar, just to the right of the home button.

Ditto

Me as well
It's just that it's dawned on me that 'zero tolerance' only seems to mean putting extra police in poor, run-down areas, and not in the Stock Exchange.
-- (Terry Pratchett)
Robanybody

Post by Robanybody »

Omega X wrote:The new tab button and the always on Tab Bar is rubbing a few people the wrong way.

More than a few :wink:
It's just that it's dawned on me that 'zero tolerance' only seems to mean putting extra police in poor, run-down areas, and not in the Stock Exchange.
-- (Terry Pratchett)
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

cdrev wrote:The main argument for this decision is to make tabbed browsing more discovorable for people unaware of the feature. I agree.
Besides, most Fx vetarans use CTRL(⌘)+T anyway.

How do we know what most Fx veterans use? How would adding the ability to move the button detract from making people aware of the feature?
rickst29

Post by rickst29 »

hmm. Cat-Thief's extension works great on Shiretoko/3.1b3pre, but since Trunk now calls itself a "3.2xxxxx" I needed to back down in order to get a pretty clickey thing on my toolbar. I've got an easy workarounds (FireGestures, of course). TMP is mandatory here, and the new "broken" tab bar element names break compatibility with his "new tab" button. Of course "OneMen" will fix TMP be become compatible, when FF's UI people stop messing around and stabilize it for the RC. But I think it's a really shabby waste of his time.
Make a fire FOR a man, he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Set a man ON fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

rickst29 wrote:hmm. Cat-Thief's extension works great on Shiretoko/3.1b3pre, but since Trunk now calls itself a "3.2xxxxx" I needed to back down in order to get a pretty clickey thing on my toolbar.

Won't it work if you change the maxVersion to read maxVersion="3.2.*" (or your specific build version) inside the extension's install.rdf? I'm not sure if I should actually make that a permanent change since I am not testing any of the 3.2 builds.
Last edited by CatThief on December 12th, 2008, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rickst29 wrote:... But I think it's a really shabby waste of his time.

Dog wags tail, not the other way around. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

rickst29 wrote:But I think it's a really shabby waste of his time.

A shabby waste of whose time?
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
rickst29

Re: A shabby waste of time....

Post by rickst29 »

CatThief wrote:A shabby waste of whose time?

Yours, too! (Although I had TMP's "onemen" inmind when I wrote that.) I tried using NTT to flip the max version upwards via "click to override compatibility", but had no joy via that route. I'm not sure why, it worked on everything else and your install.rdf looks perfectly normal to me-- I don't know why NTT was unable to zap it for me.

So I just did as you instructed: I cranked it up to "3.x" maximum, the button is present and works with my favorite theme (Classic Compact, which NTT did "force" successfully.) Thanks! :D
NJKR

Post by NJKR »

Have you tried this:
Create Boolean "extensions.checkCompatibility" & "extensions.checkUpdateSecurity" with values "false" and restart - install
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Glad to find a thread about this issue.
The "new tab" button in the tab bar is a nice idea (although I think it should be next to the last open tab and not all the way to the right), BUT why did the devs remove the button for the tool bar as well?
This is approximately three lines of additional code and I, like the other users here in this thread, am accustomed to having the "new tab" button in the tool bar. I just don't want the tab bar to be shown all the time.
Please guys, reconsider this decision. I can't think of any disadvantage that this additional button for the tool bar could have.
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

I too am currently using CatThief's extension to compensate. It's been a lifesaver for me, but it really shouldn't be needed. I can't believe this decision was made. The only grounds for such a decision would be to provide a benefit to someone else, but this change doesn't. All it does is piss off people like me who use the new tab button on the toolbar, without providing any benefit to ANYONE else. I mean, just how is someone else's browsing experience better from not being able to add a new tab button to the toolbar? :confused:

Any word on whether they would be willing to overturn this decision?
alterna

Post by alterna »

Just a thought, I have tabbar not shown if one tab, but have an about:blank bookmark on bookmarks toolbar directly below urlbar/searchbar intersection. middleclick opens new tab.
"So it goes" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.