Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
gigaherz

Re: Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Post by gigaherz »

Whoops missed your reply. you might have noticed already, I did change the icon after I saw your post.

Don't worry, pcsx2's server has enough bandwidth to hold a tiny 13kb file without even noticing it.
If you want to have it in your site, feel free, it's your code anyway, I just replaced the id & class of the toolbar button,
but I'd personally prefer to have it not well known, so that I wont' have hundreds of ppl mad at me when someday it breaks firefox somehow. xD

Also edited my post to reflect your gender :P
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

It's always best to host your own file. I'll add a link to it as soon as I get a chance. Meanwhile, check your Inbox for some important information.

Maybe I should edit my avatar to include a bow, but after I remove my Christmas hat. :)
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
mgosdin

Post by mgosdin »

I see in last night's Dev Apps Firefox digest that several entries were made regarding the "new tab" button on the toolbar. I'm pretty sure you have the Dev's attention, and at least one "Oh, go away!" style response.

Again, I strongly suggest that anyone who posts to the Dev Apps Firefox mailing list take the time to state what you think - pro or con - clearly and without resorting to the strong emotional language that is often seen in posts here and elsewhere on the net. Be good boys & girls, OK?

By all means do post on the Dev's email list, they do need to hear from you that this change is not good. Keep in mind that the Theme & Addon devs like CatThief ( Thank you! ), gigherz, Frank Lion and many others, can do a lot to correct the Devs mistakes. I've noticed that those corrections also get the Dev's attention.
Mark Gosdin
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

gigaherz wrote:No I did not. After so much time around opensource stuff, it has come to me assuming everything's just either gpl or similar. Sorry to hear you don't want it distributed. Removed the link from the other post.

EDIT: Uh I press submit and then the post is gone?

While your intentions seem kind, I suppose you didn't bother to read the license.txt file nor follow the link to the "terms of use" posted at my site directly below the download link.

Specifically...
You are free to use these extensions in the capacity of an end-user. You are permitted to apply modifications for personal use only.
and...
These extensions may not be re-released, or modified and re-released, at any time as long as they remain active by their developer.
and also...
You are not permitted, under any circumstances, to submit any extension to any web site for download or distribution without developer's permission.
and this, too...
IT IS MY DECISION TO *NOT* MAKE ANY OF THESE EXTENSIONS PUBLICLY AVAILABLE FROM ANY WEB SITE (INCLUDING ADDONS.MOZILLA.ORG) EXCEPT MY OWN, EXTENZILLA.ORG, AND ADDONSMIRROR.NET. PLEASE HONOR THAT DECISION AND DO NOT PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTE ANY OF THESE EXTENSIONS OR MAKE DISTRIBUTION DECISIONS ON MY BEHALF.

I'm not sure how I can make any of that more clear. :roll:

I want to thank you and Catthief. Imagine this two extension developers working together to enhance the browser by restoring a lost (but obviously popular) functionality. This is the type of thing that attracted me to Firefox in the beginning.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Geronimo wrote:I want to thank you and Catthief. Imagine this two extension developers working together to enhance the browser by restoring a lost (but obviously popular) functionality. This is the type of thing that attracted me to Firefox in the beginning.

I also would like to thank you!! Did you consider maybe writing a patch for Bug 457187 - 'New Tab' button should be customizable , I guess a patch adding the old new tab button maintaining the new one would have a big chance, don't you think??
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

ShareBird wrote:I also would like to thank you!! Did you consider maybe writing a patch for Bug 457187 - 'New Tab' button should be customizable , I guess a patch adding the old new tab button maintaining the new one would have a big chance, don't you think??

You are quite welcome!

I suppose I could submit a patch, but in light of how irritated the devs seem over the criticism regarding their decision, I'm going to remain in the background while keeping my fingers crossed that something will be done on their end. If not, no big deal (at least to me) as long as the extension works.

For anyone brave enough to take on the challenge, ideally a user should have the choice of either keeping the existing New Tab button inside the tabs container, or placing it (Fx-3.0-style) onto the toolbar. An option inside the Tabs section of the Preferences dialog would be more suitable than utilizing the Customize Toolbar dialog.

Should things remain the same for the 3.1 final, it will be interesting to see how many mainstream users will voice their own negative opinions. I'll bet a lot of them will think something is broken.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
steviex

Post by steviex »

I think I will be busy writing stickies :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

Are the devs really that irritated by the criticism over this? Why?

I agree with your solution though CatThief. It would be great if the new tab button could be customizable, so that you could either place it on the toolbar or the tab bar. Failing that, your extension has done much to soften the blow. Thankyou!

P.S - I noticed a small "bug" maybe? In my javascript options websites can open new windows that can hide all the elements, so that's scrollbar, menubar, etc... yet with your extension new windows open with everything hidden but your new tab button.
mgosdin

Post by mgosdin »

Kernel Sanders wrote:Are the devs really that irritated by the criticism over this? Why?

I would make a guess that somehow the Devs have come up with the idea that "Customization" = "Code Bloat". So, they are unwilling to consider retaining anything regarding previous functionality whenever a new approach is adopted.

This really appears to have come to a head with the "Places" & "Awsome Smart Location Bar". Like any human being the Devs have gotten sore from being hit with Stupid Sticks, so they are a little ummm... testy about their decisions.

I agree that they are in for another bashing when / if they release Firefox 3.1 and they have the new tab button mucked up the way they do now.

Should be good entertainment. 8-)
Mark Gosdin
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

Tbf, this whole thing for me sounds like the devs screaming "you're doing it wrong!". They seem to have arbitrarily decided that people like me, who only show the tab bar if more than one tab is open, and who have our new tab button on the toolbar next to the home button, are doing it wrong, so we will be forced to comply with what they think is the best way to browse. Smell the arrogance eh?

The next target is the home button. I see that removed in Firefox 3.2 and the bookmarks toolbar on all the time, unable to be hidden.

Are there any more UI changes heading our way in 3.1 btw?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Kernel Sanders wrote:Tbf, this whole thing for me sounds like the devs screaming "you're doing it wrong!". They seem to have arbitrarily decided that people like me, who only show the tab bar if more than one tab is open, and who have our new tab button on the toolbar next to the home button, are doing it wrong, so we will be forced to comply with what they think is the best way to browse. Smell the arrogance eh?

So Kernel, why don't you just select 'Notify Me' of any reply here and keep coming back and posting the same stuff over and over and over again and throw in a few insults at the same time?

Oh, I see that you already have. Way to go, young man. mgosdin has already outlined a more effective solution path, I suggest you try it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
steviex

Post by steviex »

By the way, I suggest you keep your Eyes on these Threads....

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=975065
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=665138

As these threads are INFORMATION ONLY threads, please do not comment in them. They are for information about the changes only, NOT Discussions about them. Any such will get split.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

Frank Lion wrote:
Kernel Sanders wrote:Tbf, this whole thing for me sounds like the devs screaming "you're doing it wrong!". They seem to have arbitrarily decided that people like me, who only show the tab bar if more than one tab is open, and who have our new tab button on the toolbar next to the home button, are doing it wrong, so we will be forced to comply with what they think is the best way to browse. Smell the arrogance eh?

So Kernel, why don't you just select 'Notify Me' of any reply here and keep coming back and posting the same stuff over and over and over again and throw in a few insults at the same time?

Oh, I see that you already have. Way to go, young man. mgosdin has already outlined a more effective solution path, I suggest you try it.

Backseat moderating mixed with insults is so helpful. Thankyou! =D>

steviex wrote:By the way, I suggest you keep your Eyes on these Threads....

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=975065
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=665138

As these threads are INFORMATION ONLY threads, please do not comment in them. They are for information about the changes only, NOT Discussions about them. Any such will get split.

Thanks for the links 8-)
steviex

Post by steviex »

By the way guys... Let's keep this polite... I would hate to have to start slicing chunks out of this thread. Let's leave the Insults, and baiting in the Cloakroom...

Lets see how this pans out in 3.1 ..... Don't forget 3.2 is chasing hard on the heels of 3.1 and the UI of 3.2 is still up for grabs....

There is always the possibility of the Devs changing their minds... But, they will only do so, if we are all polite, and can give reasoned and constructive arguments as to what you want.

I think the idea is to make the Tab Bar a fully customisable toolbar, so any button can be put anywhere.... But I don't think this will be realised just yet...

malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

steviex wrote:There is always the possibility of the Devs changing their minds...

ROFLMAO :lol:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"