Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Kernel Sanders

Re: Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Post by Kernel Sanders »

But why should people have to do that when the solution doesn't hurt anyone? Removing the ability to have a new tab button on the tab bar is a solution in search of a problem.

Imagine if they removed the home button entirelly. You could argue that adding your desired homepage as the first button on the bookmarks toolbar means that there is no problem, yet would anyone be happy if they removed the home button entirelly?
mgosdin

Post by mgosdin »

Kernel Sanders wrote:Any word on whether they would be willing to overturn this decision?

I would not bet on it.

Mark
Mark Gosdin
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

There needs to be a big backlash like how people backlashed against the AwesomeBar leading to about:config options in the upcoming 3.1 to tweak the AwesomeBar for FF 2 behavior. The backlash here at Mozillazine won't be enough to overturn anything.

Of course it seems like always when there's a big UI fight, the Firefox devs always want to avoid the problem by either citing INVALID or WONTFIX or putting in more about:config options to try appeasing multiple sides. The devs really should stop trying to reinvent Firefox (including changing the UI every major version/update) and leave it to add-on developers to reinvent Firefox with their add-ons. What I'm saying is Firefox should just focus on doing it's job as browsing. The devs shouldn't take on the jobs meant for add-on developers.

It's up to add-on developers to help Firefox be viable against other browsers like IE, Opera, and Safari.
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

I agree that there needs to be some kind of backlash. This decision is totally bizzare. Can someone please explain to me how someone else's browsing experience is better through not being able to add a new tab button to the toolbar? :s
szhorvat

Post by szhorvat »

It all started with "making tab browsing discoverable" ... so the tab bar was shown by default. Why not make it inconvenient to use the browser when it's not shown, then? So they removed the throbber and corrupted the new tab button.

What the decision makers don't seem to understand is that the conservative people who need such an obvious hint that Firefox has tabs are not going to switch to Firefox just because they hear about tabs ... but those who are already using it are likely to switch away because they are annoyed by constant changes. Conservative people don't like change, any kind of change, not just needless changes like this.
freezer1

Post by freezer1 »

To the super-intelligent devs: Every browser worth its salt has offered a tabbed browsing experience for a long time now. 99.99% of all FF users know FF does too. What the heck does "making tabbed browsing discoverable" mean? Stop eating the wild berries. Put that button back.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Do remember, that we are not the Developers, and they are very possibly not reading this.

If you want to make an impression on the Developers, you need to talk to them....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

szhorvat wrote:It all started with "making tab browsing discoverable" ... so the tab bar was shown by default. Why not make it inconvenient to use the browser when it's not shown, then? So they removed the throbber and corrupted the new tab button.

What the decision makers don't seem to understand is that the conservative people who need such an obvious hint that Firefox has tabs are not going to switch to Firefox just because they hear about tabs ... but those who are already using it are likely to switch away because they are annoyed by constant changes. Conservative people don't like change, any kind of change, not just needless changes like this.

I think you're right. This all seems to be about making it inconvenient/annoying to use Firefox without the tab bar being visable at all times, even with just one tab open. Trying to force the users into a pattern of behaviour is very much a Microsoft/IE way of doing things.

How do we show Mozilla our feelings about this without seemingly trolling bugzilla, which would be very counterproductive? I live in hope that the devs read these forums :(
mgosdin

Post by mgosdin »

Kernel Sanders wrote:How do we show Mozilla our feelings about this without seemingly trolling bugzilla, which would be very counterproductive? I live in hope that the devs read these forums :(

Go to this page https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-firefox to subscribe to the Firefox Application Developer's list. This will get you a steady flow of email digests and allow you to see a good bit of what the developers are up to.

If you decide to give them feedback, and I hope you do, on the "new tab" toolbar button, or anything else you have an opinion on, please be very civil with the developers. I think that they have been hit a few too many times in the head with the "Stupid Stick" and they don't take being chewed on well.

However, I've found that if you state your case clearly and avoid using "emotional" phrases you can get their attention and they will talk to you. You may not be able to get them to change their minds, I wasn't able to entirely, but you will get a hearing.
Mark Gosdin
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Hi people,

I modified that "new tab button" extension so instead of its own skin images, it used the active theme's skin for the new tab button.

This assumes the theme you are using still has the css entries for the button, which I think the default theme does not.

If you have a theme with new-tab-button skinning info then... well you cannot get it cos the original author doesn't let me (She does! :D) you can get it here.

BIG NOTE: This extension is not bug-free, requires a theme with the definitions for the new-tab-button toolbar item (any firefox3.0-compatible theme will work) and will show a big ugly image in the middle of your toolbar if you try to use it in a non-compatible theme.

EDIT: Updated the file based on CatThief's request (there were some "compatibility" issues with the original).
Last edited by gigaherz on December 15th, 2008, 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

No I did not. After so much time around opensource stuff, it has come to me assuming everything's just either gpl or similar. Sorry to hear you don't want it distributed. Removed the link from the other post.

EDIT: Uh I press submit and then the post is gone?

While your intentions seem kind, I suppose you didn't bother to read the license.txt file nor follow the link to the "terms of use" posted at my site directly below the download link.

Specifically...
You are free to use these extensions in the capacity of an end-user. You are permitted to apply modifications for personal use only.
and...
These extensions may not be re-released, or modified and re-released, at any time as long as they remain active by their developer.
and also...
You are not permitted, under any circumstances, to submit any extension to any web site for download or distribution without developer's permission.
and this, too...
IT IS MY DECISION TO *NOT* MAKE ANY OF THESE EXTENSIONS PUBLICLY AVAILABLE FROM ANY WEB SITE (INCLUDING ADDONS.MOZILLA.ORG) EXCEPT MY OWN, EXTENZILLA.ORG, AND ADDONSMIRROR.NET. PLEASE HONOR THAT DECISION AND DO NOT PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTE ANY OF THESE EXTENSIONS OR MAKE DISTRIBUTION DECISIONS ON MY BEHALF.

I'm not sure how I can make any of that more clear. :roll:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

gigaherz wrote:EDIT: Uh I press submit and then the post is gone?

Sort of. Just press Edit on post/s and click Delete, then confirm and then it/they will be deleted. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

gigaherz wrote:No I did not. After so much time around opensource stuff, it has come to me assuming everything's just either gpl or similar. Sorry to hear you don't want it distributed. Removed the link from the other post.

EDIT: Uh I press submit and then the post is gone?

Yes, I just deleted my post. I reacted prior to examining the install.rdf file where you did in fact use a unique GUID, renamed the extension, removed my update url, and (most importantly) was kind enough to name me as contributor.

I deliberately did not use the original toolbarbutton ID because I wanted to avoid any potential conflicts. I'm not a proponent of re-using IDs, especially ones that are an integral part of development. While 3.1 is still being reworked, it is not absolutely certain that the original new tab toolbar button won't be restored, especially since so many users want to see it.

Go ahead and re-post the link. Do keep in mind, though, that if someone is using a theme that does not contain an image and code for #new-tab-button, your extension will not work. You might want to make that a bit more clear so there are no surprises. And please replace the icon.png image so there is no confusion.

I apologize for being so quick to react. In the spirit of open source, you actually did do it the "right" way. :)
Last edited by CatThief on December 15th, 2008, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Well, thanks for that, I will set the link back after I post this.

I do realize the extension "as is" isn't perfect at all, which is why I decided to keep it as something "informal", without even a proper site for it, and without publishing at AMO.

I'm also keeping in mind that they might make it just a button in the tabs "toolbar", which can be dragged back to being a big button in the main toolbar, and so then it won't be necessary at all.

EDIT: Reupped the xpi with a new icon, as you asked.
Last edited by gigaherz on December 15th, 2008, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

gigaherz wrote:Well, thanks for that, I will set the link back after I post this.

I do realize the extension "as is" isn't perfect at all, which is why I decided to keep it as something "informal", without even a proper site for it, and without publishing at AMO.

AMO is my biggest nightmare. I don't normally do this, but I can host the file at my own site as an alternative to my own extension. Just PM me and I'll give you a private e-mail address to which you can attach it.

I'm also keeping in mind that they might make it just a button in the tabs "toolbar", which can be dragged back to being a big button in the main toolbar, and so then it won't be necessary at all.

That is a distinct possibility.

I had edited my post above to include "And please replace the icon.png image so there is no confusion." Other than that, everything else looks good.

And just for the record, CatThief is a "she". :D
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.