Problem with AlbertEinstein.info?

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
raj_bhaskar

Problem with AlbertEinstein.info?

Post by raj_bhaskar »

Hi folks, can anyone else reproduce this problem at AlbertEinstein.info.

Go the above URL, and click on "Non-Scientific Material" link.

This should bring up another link between "B" and "C", but instead, it replaces "C" with "B1" and further clicking on "B1" (non-scientific manuscripts) doesn't do anything.

No info appears in the JS Console.

Is this a bug in my build (2003-05-12-16) or an eveng issue?
moronicbajebus

Post by moronicbajebus »

I am seeing the same thing.
Autark

Looks like a bug (regression?)

Post by Autark »

If you decrease the font size you will see that the sub-items expand as they should, although they are cropped in Firebird 0.6 (and Mozilla 1.4b). Netscape 7.02 shows the page correctly, making space for the items as needed. It looks like a regression. [Edit: no, as another poster notes further down, it's rather that Mozilla has made progress in its standards support since NS 7 was branched off.]

Another thing to note on this page is that font zoom works better in Netscape 7.02 than in Firebird, as in Firebird the text will be cropped whereas NS 7.02 will make more space as needed.

On the other hand, the HTML is invalid (validation), so browsers are in essence free to do whatever they please with the page.
Last edited by Autark on May 21st, 2003, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martind

Post by martind »

I noticed this as well. Maybe more people should send a mail to their webmaster complaining about the IE-only code. I was simply too lazy to do this myself when I saw it ;)
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

The main problem with the list-view area of the page is that its parent DIV has an explicit height of 250px. Gecko follows the W3C CSS2 spec and does not resize the DIV to fit its contents.

Change 'height' to 'min-height', or remove it completely, and the page works fine in more browsers.
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I emailed them about this, and they've fixed it. Nice to see a site with such a quick turnaround with problems like this.
martind

Post by martind »

Where in hell did you find the email address? I tried to find <i>any</i> contact information, only found their "archival requests" teams.

Oh, I see: they have added an email address. And the comment: "This Website requires IE5 or Netscape 6 or higher." duh