Prevent this page from creating addtional dialogs

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
greendraw

Re: Prevent this page from creating addtional dialogs

Post by greendraw »

i have created this property but nothing changes
greendraw

Post by greendraw »

i'm sorry. i set type of this parameter string. after that i changed type on integer and all works.
Greg009988

Post by Greg009988 »

Hello,

Sorry to join in this thread just like this, but I am experiencing this issue with the dialog window.

Once I clicked on ok by mistake and since then I am unable to use the web application I am working with which uses dialog to confirm changes in its database.

I tried reinstalling FF (also got rid of FF folder in AppSupport), then inserted
dom.successive_dialog_time_limit with value 0,
restarted FF just to be sure,
but the web app still not responding as it did before. Firefox is the only option to use this application on OSX and I am pretty sure it is only a matter of time when more of my company's clients will come up with the same question as speaking about an application used worldwide.

Just to clarify: I need all communication to go through when I'm using a certain website. Operating system is OSX 10.8.2 with Firefox 17.0 .

I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you!
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi Greg009988, I thought the blocking was only stored for the current session. Have you started a new session (i.e., start up to your home page instead of resuming a previous session)?

To test in a clean profile, you could close Firefox, start up in the Profile Manager, and create a new profile as described in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles. Any time you want to switch profiles, close Firefox and return to this dialog; I recommend you NOT delete any profiles unless/until you are 110% sure you do not need them.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That is possibly stored in the cache.
Try to reload web page(s) and bypass the cache to refresh files and other stored settings.
Press and hold Shift and left-click the Reload button.
Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
Press "Command + Shift + R" (MAC)
Greg009988

Post by Greg009988 »

I have made a new profile and it seems to be working!

Thank you!!
Greg009988

Post by Greg009988 »

Hello again,

FF was working fine but now it is not allowing pop-up windows if I add page to exemption list or even when I disable "block pop-up windows" in preferences.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
(this is Firefox 12)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi Greg009988, to prevent confusion between script dialogs and pop-up windows, you might want to start a new thread on that. (Or maybe a moderator can split it off.) Do you have any security-related add-ons that could have their own pop-up blockers? Also, why still Firefox 12??
Greg009988

Post by Greg009988 »

Yes I know, 12... that is the latest supported for the application I'm using.
Thank you
kXt

Post by kXt »

Hello jscher2000,

Greetings!

We use javascript extensively for validation on our forms and if a user checks "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs", it prevents all other subsequent alerts that are important for data integrity. How to address this issue in firefox where we would like to know if the user has checked that dialog box so that we can either disable submit option on that form or to refresh / reload that form. Asking users to update their policy and /or configuration settings is not practical and also suggestions to install any plug-ins might face resistance from certain users. I'd appreciate your response.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

kXt wrote:We use javascript extensively for validation on our forms and if a user checks "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs", it prevents all other subsequent alerts that are important for data integrity. How to address this issue in firefox where we would like to know if the user has checked that dialog box so that we can either disable submit option on that form or to refresh / reload that form. Asking users to update their policy and /or configuration settings is not practical and also suggestions to install any plug-ins might face resistance from certain users. I'd appreciate your response.

The reason for this change in Firefox is usability, so maybe your application can group alerts together rather than presenting them serially? Hopefully this will avoid having so many in a row.

With alert(), I don't think there is any way to know whether the user ever saw the dialog. What happens if you use a confirm() instead -- can you tell from the assigned value whether it was displayed?

As a user, I also prefer to see alerts in the page near the portion of the form that needs attention. (I realize this takes extra work, but you could consider it as a feature enhancement.)

Finally, of course, it goes without saying that you must not trust any data sent to your server. Your script on the server absolutely must validate the form data and reject invalid submissions. Client-side validation can offer a better user experience and save round-trips and bandwidth, but you have to design your application for the possibility that users could bypass client-side scripts and that hackers seeking to exploit your application will bypass them.