MozillaZine

Formatting of my site changes in FF 9.0

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
dtobias
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 3:35 pm
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Post Posted December 22nd, 2011, 1:21 pm

When I updated to Firefox 9.0, one of my sites (using Mediawiki) messed up its formatting, showing the left-side menu below the main content instead of alongside it. Here's the URL:

http://mpedia.dan.info/index.php?title=Main_Page
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/

jscher2000

User avatar
 
Posts: 9559
Joined: December 19th, 2004, 12:26 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA

Post Posted December 22nd, 2011, 1:27 pm

Does hardware acceleration make any difference? Wondering whether it's a computation problem with the margins and widths specified in em.

dtobias
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 3:35 pm
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Post Posted December 22nd, 2011, 2:31 pm

It's doing it the same way in both my home and work computers. The site format is, as far as I'm aware, a standard Mediawiki default template.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/

LoudNoise
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 38459
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Location: Next door to the west

Post Posted December 22nd, 2011, 3:26 pm

Try ctrl and 0 (zero)
Post wrangler
Notice: If you have a comment on moderation, please post here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2706389 and don't private message a mod. I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them

dickvl

User avatar
 
Posts: 51381
Joined: July 18th, 2005, 3:25 am

Post Posted December 22nd, 2011, 8:20 pm

I see the same in Firefox 9 and later versions (Aurora, Nightly). Firefox 8 is OK.

jscher2000

User avatar
 
Posts: 9559
Joined: December 19th, 2004, 12:26 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA

Post Posted December 23rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

Okay, went and got Fx9. With NoScript active, it's fine. If I enable scripts, the navigation/search/toolbox drops down below the main column. That said, I can't see the reason that the scripts should affect those elements (they are little complicated...).

dickvl

User avatar
 
Posts: 51381
Joined: July 18th, 2005, 3:25 am

Post Posted December 24th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Seems to be a problem with navigator.taintEnabled that is no longer supported and causes is_khtml to be true and that causes a KHTMLFixes.css stylesheet to get loaded.
Code: Select all
var is_khtml = (navigator.vendor == 'KDE' || ( document.childNodes && !document.all && !navigator.taintEnabled ));

http://www.elanthipedia.com/w/skins/mon ... LFixes.css
Code: Select all
#column-content { margin-left: 0; }


So the solution seems to be to restore the margin with this code in userContent.css
Code: Select all
@-moz-document domain(www.elanthipedia.com) { #column-content { margin-left:-12.2em !important; } }


Thanks to knorretje for finding this.
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/quest ... wer-290813

dtobias
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 3:35 pm
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Post Posted December 25th, 2011, 9:44 am

Upgrading to the latest MediaWiki installation seems to fix that issue with the site.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/

tjay53
 
Posts: 1
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 7:41 am

Post Posted January 12th, 2012, 7:56 am

I had this same problem with the new FF version and an older MW 1.9.3 site. Unfortunately I could not find the userContent.css file... So I just modified the KHTMLFixes.css stylesheeting to
#column-content { margin-left: -12.2em; }
and saved the file. This fixed the problem at hand.

Actually I had experienced the same problem with Google Chrome... but the fix here did not work. So I went in search of some help... and found a article at http://groups.google.com/group/chromium ... dea3ba6063 that suggested to just remove the "KHTMLFixes.css" file.

Being the cautious type... I changed the name to "_KHTMLFixes.css"... and the result was that both FireFox 9.0 and Google Chrome 16.0.912.75m are working with my old Media Wiki 1.9.3 software.

I checked, and could confirm that the problem does not exist in MW 1.16

Return to Web Development / Standards Evangelism


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest