jquery not working on one pc - fine on another

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Pedro147

jquery not working on one pc - fine on another

Post by Pedro147 »

I have two small jquery java scripts in my sites code http://www.pedroduino.com ( sticky menu and back to top icon) that are not working when I view the site on one pc running Windows 7. The code and scripts are both working on both another pc also running W7 and a Mac. I have checked that javascript is enabled in FF about config which it is. What else might I check as it was working fine the other day. I should also mention that this problem is occurring in IE as well, thanks again Pedro.
LoudNoise

Re: jquery not working on one pc - fine on another

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Web Development.

What happens in safe mode on the computer that isn't working? On the keyboard, type Alt H (on the windows machine). Click on "Restart with.... "
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Pedro147

Post by Pedro147 »

Hi LoudNoise. If I press alt + H it opens the help menu in FF. Is that what you mean when you say "On the keyboard, type Alt H" I will find out how to boot in safe mode and see what happens in that regard. Thanks
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Yep. If you click on "Restart with.... " you will restart in safe mode. I am assuming that the problem PC is the one that you use regularly while the other one isn't.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Pedro147

Post by Pedro147 »

What does "Restart with.... " mean don't you press f8 before the Windows 7 splash screen shows to start in safe mode?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

No. You are talking about Windows Safe Mode. What I am talking about is Firefox safe mode. With some mumbled exceptions, this will run Firefox as if you just installed it. Since things are working on one PC and not on another we are working to see what is the difference. Firefox safe mode is an easy way to do this.
Post wrangler
Pedro147

Post by Pedro147 »

I see. No I started in safe mode control panel > run > firefox -safe-mode > enter but the problem is persisting. As I said this happens in IE as well but only on this computer at work. The one at home that uses W7 as well and both use FF 30 , is fine and both jquery scripts work as intended. This to me with my extremely limited computer skill set indicates a problem in the actual MS operating system or the actual computer hardware as the problem occurs with two different browsers IMHO :D
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

To me it sounds like an anti virus or firewall problem. If that is the case then I wouldn't worry about it.
Post wrangler
Pedro147

Post by Pedro147 »

Thanks for your help but both pc's have the same antivirus NIS 2014 and I did disable the firewall on the problem pc to no avail. Unfortunately it not a case of don't worry about it because this now means that I cannot test and/or develop any jquery on this machine because it will not run it. Thank you for your suggestions anyway but I am like a dog with a bone I will sort it out by hook or by crook :)
trolly

Post by trolly »

Try to ping the site where you load jquery from if it is not your site.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Pedro147

Post by Pedro147 »

I got this issue sorted out. Someone pointed out that I was using quite an old version of jquery so I updated to the latest version and now both my scripts are loading and working as expected. Thank you all for for help and suggestions Pedro