Memory Leakage on my javascript intensive application in FF

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
wing.t.lee

Memory Leakage on my javascript intensive application in FF

Post by wing.t.lee »

Hi,

I'm using Firefox ESR 24.3.0 as a standard browser for my GWT (SmartGWT) application.

During my testing, I find application have slow response after repeat a feature for 15 minutes. And per checking by Firebug DOM tab, I find particular global variable start with isc_XXXXXX (which is SmartGWT objects) accumulate. But per checking that all accumulated isc_ object is null but still accumulated in Firefox's memory. So my question is
- Does null javascript objects mean the object is already ready for GC in FireFox?
- How can I clean up the null javascript objects in Firefox?
- If unfortunately the null javascript objects is not ready for GC due to some association with other non-null object, How can I find that association and the objects from Firebug (or other debug tools in FF)?

Thx in advanced
Dom1953

Re: Memory Leakage on my javascript intensive application in

Post by Dom1953 »

null is a valid object variable value, equivalent to zero for numbers or the empty set in mathematics. Its use does not ready a variable for the GC. The way to remove a a global reference is to delete it using the delete keyword. Note you cannot remove a global value that was declared using a var statement (Ref).

Hence

Code: Select all

window.isc_123456 = something;
delete window.isc_123456; // when done
should work. Better still would be to create these temporary values as properties of a global object that remains in place, as for example

Code: Select all

var isc = {}; // declare object globally
isc.xxxxxx = something; // when creating value
delete isc.xxxxxx; // when done

if you have set a property of some other object to one of these isc_XXXXXX values, deleting the isc_XXXXXX global property will NOT also delete the value held as a property of "some other object". Such a property would also need to be explicitly deleted.