text encoding auto-detect ff45 trouble

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
BC Editor

text encoding auto-detect ff45 trouble

Post by BC Editor »

I just recently updated to ff45.0.2 (English version) on Win Vista laptop and am now having a display problem with a text encoding issue in that the German "umlaut" characters are not correctly displayed. The problem did not exist in previous FF version.

Problem sample website: http://www.warmsroth.de

I checked on Menu bar under "View > Text Encoding" and found that "Unicode" is marked, which in this case seems incorrect, a change to "Western" solved the problem immediately. Then I checked on the "Auto-Detect" and saw that it is marked at "(off)" ...
Is there a way to permanently turn on the auto-detect again so that the browser would do the switch if a website is not yet using utf-8 unicode encoding?
trolly

Re: text encoding auto-detect ff45 trouble

Post by trolly »

What your server says: text/html; charset=UTF-8
What the page says: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

The browser is allowed to ignore meta tags so tell your server to send the right encoding.

Auto detect means: When neither the server nor the page says anything about its encoding do some magic to find out. Here the server sends a text encoding but the wrong one.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
BC Editor

Post by BC Editor »

trolly wrote:What your server says: text/html; charset=UTF-8
What the page says: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

The browser is allowed to ignore meta tags so tell your server to send the right encoding.
That's a nice advice ... BUT how do I tell a server that I have nothing to with and that is therefore not under my control to send the right encoding ?? Since when are website visitors to tell website owners to tell their respective internet providers what to do ??
Perhaps the fault is in the "liberty" the browser takes to actually ignore what it is sent to properly display content ??

Also, how come I did not have to do what you suggested with previous FireFox version ? Was earlier FF doing some "magic" which the new version is not able to do?
trolly

Post by trolly »

The browser does not take any liberties. The standard says the text encoding is sent in the HTML headers. And that it *may* look into meta tags or the content to detect the character encoding when no HTML header is sent. (Emphasis: may)

As said browsers are allowed to ignore meta tags and that's for ages. Maybe Firefox does no longer use auto detect or meta when it got conflicting data and rely only on the content type information. And that is standard conform.

If you publish a web page and you have web space either you or your provider have to have people to configure those server. The server which delivers your page exist somewhere and has to be configured correctly. You rented web space so the company which leased you that web space has either give you full control or to do the configuration.
So call your provider and tell them that you want your pages delivered with another encoding.

I do not know how you publish your pages but e.g. you use FTP to do this you can use it read the configuration file from the server , modify and upload it again.
e.g. http://www.mit.edu/faq/mimetypes.html
BC Editor wrote:... Since when are website visitors to tell website owners to tell their respective internet providers what to do ?? ...
You asked.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

This is not a Firefox problem. It also happens on every other browser, from IE8 to Vivaldi, for the same reason.
BC Editor wrote:Also, how come I did not have to do what you suggested with previous FireFox version ? Was earlier FF doing some "magic" which the new version is not able to do?
Perhaps some server change more or less coincided with the Fx 45 upgrade?
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.