MozillaZine

ASP.NET recieving multiple requests from firefox

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
paulc100
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 2:53 am

Post Posted June 12th, 2006, 3:01 am

Hi All,

I wonder if you could help, We have a number of pages in our .net solution that are generating two requests (per page load) everytime firefox loads the page. (It should only be one)

This doesn't happen on all of our pages, just a select few and I can't see anything in our code behind that would reload the page.

This doesn't happen in IE or Opera, from what I can tell its just firefox.

Is there anything that might be causing the browser to load the page twice? Has anyone come accross this behaviour in the past?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

dakboy
 
Posts: 3451
Joined: November 30th, 2002, 12:30 pm

Post Posted June 12th, 2006, 8:29 am

Is it 2 requests for the same URL, every time? Can you give us a sample page, and a trace of the HTTP requests and responses (headers)?

What version of the Framework?

You've given us very little to work from, to be honest. What you've posted is equivalent to telling your mechanic "my car's making a funny noise from the right side" but not actually giving him the car to diagnose.

paulc100
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 2:53 am

Post Posted June 12th, 2006, 8:53 am

Fair enough, but I'm not going to stick a post in with a ton of data, and find out its a simple quick fix!

We are working with version 2.0 of the framework. The page is very large (50kb raw HTML) I've tried to re-create the error with a small page, but that works fine. Don't really want to stick all that on here.

And yes it is always 2 requests for the exact same URL, no matter what the querystring values are.

The header information is

HTTP_CONNECTION:keep-alive HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE:300 HTTP_ACCEPT:text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET:ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING:gzip,deflate HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE:en-gb,en;q=0.5 HTTP_COOKIE:VisitorId=100; webabacus_id=1to7c31746f3763-1;
ASP.NET_SessionId=sguhgkz4ti4n5455tuehva45; cookies=true; IS_mydomains_5944=www.test.mydomain.com%2Cwww.test.mydomain.fr; IS_Rules_5944=5840%603%60mydomain.com/ordercancel.aspx
%60%605%60%60%60%60%60instantservice.com%60%6015405%600%5E%5E%5E5842%603%60mydomain.com/accountlogin.aspx
%60%6030%60%60%60%60%60instantservice.com%60%6015405%600%5E%5E%5E5880%603%60mydomain.fr/ordercancel.aspx%60%605%60%60%60%60%60instantservice.com
%60%6015405%600%5E%5E%5E5881%603%60mydomain.fr/accountlogin.aspx%60%6030%60%60%60%60%60instantservice.com%60%6015405%600; s_cc=true; s_sq=%5B%5BB%5D%5D
HTTP_HOST:mymachine HTTP_REFERER:https://mymachine/Productview2.aspx?productcode=3VQC HTTP_USER_AGENT:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4

What do you mean by the HTTP requests exactly? The ASP.NET trace info? If so i'll stick that up here too.

I've checked all of our code to ensure there isn't any stray redirects.

To be honest I was hoping someone would have come across something like this in the past, so I could have an idea as to why firefox would reload a page.

dakboy
 
Posts: 3451
Joined: November 30th, 2002, 12:30 pm

Post Posted June 12th, 2006, 9:07 am

That "ton of data" may well be what leads us to the "quick fix." If you can post the contents of a generated page that's sent to the browser, it would be helpful.

I meant the HTTP headers for both the requests sent by Fx and the responses sent by your app. This is very, very easy to catch with an extension like LiveHTTPHeader.

Also, can you compare both the HTTP requests/responses and the HTML received by the browser, IE vs. Fx (Fiddler will act as a local proxy for any browser, IIRC, so that you can catch these)? If they aren't identical, then the differences may be what are causing the issue.

grantaw
 
Posts: 396
Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 3:47 pm
Location: United States

Post Posted June 12th, 2006, 9:37 am

Is the charset specified by way of a meta element? If the generated page contains something like this:
Code: Select all
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
your page may be triggering bug 236858. Try moving the meta element nearer to the beginning of the file. If that doesn’t work, try removing the meta element and instead specifying the charset in the HTTP headers.

dakboy
 
Posts: 3451
Joined: November 30th, 2002, 12:30 pm

Post Posted June 12th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Excellent catch, grantaw.

paulc100
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 2:53 am

Post Posted June 13th, 2006, 1:18 am

thanks for that, i'll give it a try

paulc100
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 2:53 am

Post Posted June 26th, 2006, 5:51 am

Hi, sorry for the long delay.

Turns out the content-type meta tag was part of the problem.

It was coupled with an IMG tag in one of the child controls having an SRC set to "" which seems to make firefox re-request the page, I guess this is by design.

Thanks for your help

Return to Web Development / Standards Evangelism


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest