Overflow-y Overflow-x for browsers that don't support it yet

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Bethrezen

Overflow-y Overflow-x for browsers that don't support it yet

Post by Bethrezen »

hi all

I know Overflow-y Overflow-x are a part of the css 3 spec and as a result are not widely supported yet but I was wondering is there a way to emulate Overflow-y Overflow-x in browsers that don't yet support this property yet ??
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

They are supported in Internet Explorer 6.x+, Firefox 1.5+, recent versions of Safari, and the beta of Opera 9.5. Are there other widely used browsers that don't support them?
andrewg_scss

Post by andrewg_scss »

Try specifying the CSS2 overflow property first (more browsers will support that), then specify the CSS3 overflow-x/y properties to override it on browsers that can. I wouldn't exert any more effort than that.
Andrew
Bethrezen

Post by Bethrezen »

hi

maybe if I explain what it is that I'm trying to achieve it will make a little more sense if you go to one of the page I been working on like this one for instance

http://h1.ripway.com/Bethrezen/demo/Web ... troduction

And scroll the page you will note that I have the menu fixed in place so that it all ways stays on screen the trouble I'm having is when the page width is reduced to its minimum width you get a horizontal scroll bar and the content area is able to slide under the menu this is what I'd like to prevent

In IE7 and Firefox I have been able to achieve this by setting Overflow-x to hidden trouble is that opera doesn't yet support overflow-x property so when the page width is reduced as you might expect you get a horizontal scroll bar and the contents area is able to slide under the menu

so I was wondering if there was a way to emulate the overflow-x effect or maybe place some sort of a spacer to stop the contents area sliding under the menu