Sending new users to mozilla.org

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Ricebowl

Sending new users to mozilla.org

Post by Ricebowl »

My computer illiterate friend (very bright, just not computer friendly) was having a tough time logging into his Hotmail account today. He said the web site kept telling him that his browser wasn't supporting cookies, and he was fiddling around with the settings in his MSIE 6 browser, before calling me in despair.

So I calmly told him to exit all of his IE windows and open a new session to www.mozilla.org (Mozilla? Yea, like Godzilla). And I told him to download the latest non-BETA release. I walked him through the install process, and told him to try to log into his account.

"It says Mozilla is not..-"

"Say yes"

He tried logging into his Hotmail account with his brand new mozilla browser and it worked! I told him to never use IE again.... :) We have another mozilla fan.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
amr

Post by amr »

Good job! We have another happy Mozilla user. Sounds like maybe next week (crosses fingers) you can further impress him with a BRAND NEW 1.3 final. He'll likely be blown away at Mozilla's speed of development! ;)
nilson

Post by nilson »

And I just got my dad, last night to switch to phoenix. I had to convince him that I would not "install" it ;).
I tried to get him over to Mozilla 1.1, when it was the latest release, but it was not good enough for him. He likes phoenix better than IE because of tabbed browsing mainly, but he will probably never understand gecko, as I tried to explain it to him last night... Oh well- we have another user.
Anthropolemic

Post by Anthropolemic »

I got a few people to convert over by mentioning the two magic words: popup blocking. :) Mention that to any Internet user, and they'll switch right over. I've bagged at least six people like that, most of which aren't even computer literate. Hehe. I tell everyone I can about it, though.