It's a new codebase!

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Anthropolemic

It's a new codebase!

Post by Anthropolemic »

A lot of people don't seem to grasp the concept that Netscape 7 is not based on the old Netscape 4.x engine. People ask my boss at work all the time why she uses Netscape because they have the mindset that the 4.x engine is awful. I'd say the community has to form some sort of explanation for the public, letting them know that in fact Netscape 7 != Netscape 4.x and earlier, because it's clear a lot of people still have the NS 4.x monkey on their back...
dakboy

Post by dakboy »

The naming can be confusing, but Netscape is a long-known brand on the 'net and you can't mess with that and hope to get rapid adoption. It's a tough one - you can't advertise it as "a completely new codebase" because that means nothing to 99% of the population, and "completely new & improved" doesn't help much either - especially if the skin is very close to the older releases.

Honestly, this is something that the Netscape marketing department needs to tackle, not the Mozilla community.
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

dakboy wrote:you can't advertise it as "a completely new codebase" because that means nothing to 99% of the population, and "completely new & improved" doesn't help much either - especially if the skin is very close to the older releases.

Doesn't Netscape 7 use a new theme based on Modern? I don't use NS7 myself, but I remember hearing something about this brand new Netscape theme when it first came out (or had I been drinking too much Irn-Bru that day :-)? )
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

raj_bhaskar wrote:Doesn't Netscape 7 use a new theme based on Modern?

No, it does use Modern.
Alex
bim

Post by bim »

Yes, I too seem to remember that the default theme in Netscape 7 is the Modern theme. But it's been a while since I last installed Netscape 7 and it has allways been on a computer that had allready Mozilla on it.