The mozilla logo, red star. Change it to something other

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Open Source = Communism

Bill says so.
m0053

Post by m0053 »

By itself, the Red Star is not a big problem, but mozilla does have a communist edge to it. I think that standardizing on the dinosaur is the best option.
steeler_fan

Post by steeler_fan »

The Red Star is definitely still used: check the icons/ directory of your local mozilla install. (At least thats the logo still used here in 1.8alpha1)
Neil
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

I think the red star is pretty and suits the zilla well. :)

It gives the logo some "power" to it too. It wouldn't be as pretty with a red circle around the dino instead, in my opinion.

There are thousands of "evil symbols" around and I guess the question is where to draw the line. When are enough people complaining that they should change, and when are few enough complaining that they can be ignored?

I personally think that if the intention isn't bad (like to make Mozilla a browser for communists), everything is fine.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

It goes nicely with my Makarov!

Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I've always thought that Mozilla has had a sense of style, whether it was the Thunderbird (which is utterly adorable) or the Firefox (which is equally adorable) or the Dino in its presence-amplifying star. I've pretty much appreciated it all.

Moreover, it's not really civil to get all righteous about old motifs. Standing in front of some building RL and screaming about some red star someone happened to have painted on it would land someone in the lock-up overnight and any agressive actions would probably lead to a stilt in a happy home. And rightfully so.

One can't really excuse incivility with the crimes of a bygone era. The past is past. The star is pretty. Let it be.

Dunno why people get in a snit about this stuff, anyway. <bounce> Live in the now, enjoy things for what they are. Eh?
arch

Post by arch »

This has been discussed like over hundred time in last ~five years or so. It's not going to change. Moz.org have heard same reasons more than hundred times. No matter what logo they use, someone will always be offended. These conversations have one thing in common, they all end in flames, anti-U.S- and pro-U.S posts. Communism didn't murder those people, it's ideology, nothing more. It doesn't teach us to kill humans.

If you want some education, head to http://groups.google.com

ps. White star perhaps? Reminds me of U.S. They have never murdered innocent people in past? Certainly not.
Last edited by arch on May 23rd, 2004, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No good deed goes ever unpunished"
http://archonon.sytes.net
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

arch wrote:ps. White star perhaps? Reminds me of U.S. They have never murdered innocent people in past? Haven't they?
:badgrin:
the_clown

Post by the_clown »

GURT wrote:
arch wrote:ps. White star perhaps? Reminds me of U.S. They have never murdered innocent people in past? Haven't they?
:badgrin:

I wonder what happened to all the indians (native americans).
Syncronous

Post by Syncronous »

arch wrote:This has been discussed like over hundred time in last ~five years or so.

There. What else do we have to say? There is wide support to get rid of that ugly star. How many votes does it take to get a bug fixed? 50? If there are over a hundred people that are against the Mozilla star then CHANGE IT.

BTW: It is a hasty generalization to say that whatever they change it to will not be accepted. Some logos not being accepted doesn't = all logos not being accepted.

I'll end with the point that the Mozilla foundation didn't want to offend people and changed Firebird to FireFox. Why don't they change the star?

Every bug on the matter is called invalid. I don't see why. Afterall, 100 people are for the change. Are we in denial here?
MonkeeSage

Post by MonkeeSage »

The fact that the star has been used as a Communist symbol doesn't in any way indicate that Mozilla.org is supportive of Communist idealogy or intended any linkage of the two. The circle has been used for much longer by Paganism. For example, the Dru 'snake-swallowing-tail' motif is based on the circle. The Hindi also have a concept of a 'wheel' (circle) of life. Yogi represent the chakras as circles. In fact, Imperial Japan used a big, red circle on their flag. So if Mozilla.org adopted the circle, would it mean that Mozilla.org is supportive of any of these? Not unless they explicitly said so. Given that [almost] all symbols have been used before to represent some purpose / belief / system, all of them are potentially offensive -- that is, if the simple fact of using the symbol means suppoting those purposes / beliefs / systems. But of course, using a symbol doesn't necessarily imply the support of any particular purpose / belief / system. The star looks good, is established as the symbol associated with Mozilla and has nothing to do with Communism [as Mozilla.org is using it] -- get over it.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G
"[M]en are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds." --John Oman
Syncronous

Post by Syncronous »

What's the usage of Mozilla? 1.8%? The Mozilla foundation should be looking into all sorts of ways to increase usage. Fighting such tactics as getting rid of the Communist star, when evidently there are millions of people against such an image in Europe, is non-productive and only makes matters worse. There are many stories of multinational businesses making poor choices in logos or trademarks and offending nations and peoples across the world. Usually they change their trademarks or logos. Frankly, I think some people that support Mozilla are Communists to back a Communist logo so fiercly.
MonkeeSage

Post by MonkeeSage »

Man, this is the second time I've been called a Communist in the past week. I'm changing my signature again...

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G
"[M]en are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds." --John Oman
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Anybody remember the story of the merchant and his son who tried to please everybody but ended pleasing nobody and losing their donkey? Yup, this is it. It's one thing for somebody to intentionally use a symbol of hate. It's another thing for somebody to coincidentally use a symbol that's offending. I bet somebody's gonna whine about how the new throbber in Firefox resembles the EU flag and how the Euroweenies suck and that Firefox is an affront to America. It's just a frickin' symbol. If people in the ex-Soviet bloc can't handle shit like this, then it's their psychological problem, not ours.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+