How do I inspect the Browser Toolbox?

Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform.
Nancy G

Post Posted April 2nd, 2017, 4:42 pm

How do I inspect the Browser Toolbox, with DOMi or otherwise?

I tried (1) open Browser Toolbox, (2) open DOMi on the browser, (3) [DOMi] File > Inspect Chrome Document, but the Toolbox window isn't in the list. (Firefox 52, Ubuntu.)

I also tried (3) open Browser Toolbox, (4) copy the Client endpoint address from the "Incoming Connection" dialog, (5) Tools > Web Developer > Connect... to the Toolbox client address in (3), but got "Unexpected error" on the "Connect" page, and in the Browser Toolbox were these errors:
19:14:50.205 Invalid chrome URI: / (x2)
19:14:50.206 TypeError: chrome://devtools is not a valid URL. LoginManagerParent.jsm:74:25
19:14:50.402 Exception { message: "Component returned failure code: 0x…", result: 2152398861, name: "NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED", filename: "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/too…", lineNumber: 328, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "onInputStreamReady@resource://gre/m…", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } connect.js:43:7
> onDOMReady/</< chrome://devtools/content/framework/connect/connect.js:43:7
> Handler.prototype.process resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:935:21
> this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:813:7
> this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/< resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:747:11

"Enable browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes" and "Enable remote debugging" are both enabled in the Browser Toolbox. (I get this same error if they're disabled, though.)

I also tried "Connect..." from Firefox 53 to the client port in (4) above after opening Browser Toolbox in Firefox 52. Same error.

I checked for open ports on localhost (in Ubuntu, `netstat -anltp | grep "LISTEN"`) and only the browser instance is listening (today, No listener for the Browser Toolbox. In fact the listener only persists while the Toolbox is opened (or the "Incoming Connection" dialog is displayed).

As I understand it, the Browser Toolbox is a Firefox instance with its own profile, so if I can make it listen I should be able to "Connect..." to it, but I don't know how to make it listen. Does someone know how to do this?

Post Posted April 29th, 2017, 10:13 am

Do you mean about:devtools-toolbox?

userChrome.css :
@-moz-document url(about:devtools-toolbox){} ... framework/

Post Posted December 25th, 2017, 10:04 am

Browser Toolbox runs from it's own profile, that's why it's not listed (folder chrome_debugger_profile inside your profile)

Perhaps you could theoretically open another browser with -no-remote and try from it's BT?

Return to Mozilla Development