How do I inspect the Browser Toolbox?

Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform.
Nancy G

How do I inspect the Browser Toolbox?

Post by Nancy G »

How do I inspect the Browser Toolbox, with DOMi or otherwise?

I tried (1) open Browser Toolbox, (2) open DOMi on the browser, (3) [DOMi] File > Inspect Chrome Document, but the Toolbox window isn't in the list. (Firefox 52, Ubuntu.)

I also tried (3) open Browser Toolbox, (4) copy the Client endpoint address from the "Incoming Connection" dialog, (5) Tools > Web Developer > Connect... to the Toolbox client address in (3), but got "Unexpected error" on the "Connect" page, and in the Browser Toolbox were these errors:
19:14:50.205 Invalid chrome URI: / (x2)
19:14:50.206 TypeError: chrome://devtools is not a valid URL. LoginManagerParent.jsm:74:25
19:14:50.402 Exception { message: "Component returned failure code: 0x…", result: 2152398861, name: "NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED", filename: "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/too…", lineNumber: 328, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "onInputStreamReady@resource://gre/m…", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } connect.js:43:7
> onDOMReady/</< chrome://devtools/content/framework/connect/connect.js:43:7
> Handler.prototype.process resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:935:21
> this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:813:7
> this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/< resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:747:11
"Enable browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes" and "Enable remote debugging" are both enabled in the Browser Toolbox. (I get this same error if they're disabled, though.)

I also tried "Connect..." from Firefox 53 to the client port in (4) above after opening Browser Toolbox in Firefox 52. Same error.

I checked for open ports on localhost (in Ubuntu, `netstat -anltp | grep "LISTEN"`) and only the browser instance is listening (today, 127.0.0.1:6080). No listener for the Browser Toolbox. In fact the listener only persists while the Toolbox is opened (or the "Incoming Connection" dialog is displayed).

As I understand it, the Browser Toolbox is a Firefox instance with its own profile, so if I can make it listen I should be able to "Connect..." to it, but I don't know how to make it listen. Does someone know how to do this?
dickvl

Re: How do I inspect the Browser Toolbox?

Post by dickvl »

Do you mean about:devtools-toolbox?
view-source:chrome://devtools/content/framework/toolbox.xul
view-source:chrome://devtools/content/framework/toolbox-options.xhtml

userChrome.css :
@-moz-document url(about:devtools-toolbox){}

https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release ... framework/
Vano

Re: How do I inspect the Browser Toolbox?

Post by Vano »

Browser Toolbox runs from it's own profile, that's why it's not listed (folder chrome_debugger_profile inside your profile)

Perhaps you could theoretically open another browser with -no-remote and try from it's BT?