MozillaZine

Want to severely hack a Moz and be my hero?

Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform.
wingnut

Post Posted June 17th, 2003, 10:56 am

Hi! Has anyone too much Gecko embedding experience, as well as too much time on their hands? (Oh come on, Wingy!) I could REALLY use...

A way that gecko (might not be the right term) can act like a LOCAL GUI system for programs like Perl (as a TK alternative). Now, my prowess is as pathetic as my bank accounts, and my buddy Roy says I misuse the terms STDIN, STDOUT, STDERR... but... I would like a "no inherent xul-gui" browser window that acts a bit like a Unix command. Buddy Roy says I should call them STREAMS instead of PIPES.... so I will. I would like to obtain a streamhandle to this skeletal browser... in Perl and other languages... so I can use the browser as a "universal displayer"... possibly with a trip through a MORE or LESS pager system in the browser.

Speaking of picking up events from the browser... like "I'm about to scroll"... I could stand to have a streamhandle in Perl connected to all browser events. This would be especially useful because this type of universal displayer browser isn't really suppose to go off site... so Perl/whatever intercepting clicks would be handy. But since the streamIn is the ONLY way to send goods to this browser, you should know not to send xml that's embeded with links to offsite locations unless you want user/yourself to wander offsite. Getting/intercepting browser events back at the control language, would be wonderful.

Speaking of getting something back to the control language (Perl, in my case)... a good local GUI needs user input power, so... I could use a streamOut handle that would contain FORM SUBMISSION stuff from the browser. My Perl could set a sort of daemon on ITS geckoIn (fromGecko) stream and watch for the submit... and do what it needs. It would be nice to have javascript ALSO active in this browser-like critter... to do form pre-validation if wanted.

Speaking of listening to the browser ERROR stream if there is such a thing, as well as exposing the DOM to Perl, so one can poke nodes, set styles, and reflow the page on demand... can that happen too?

Ideally...

set_browserDisplay(some streamed xml or localfile);
get_browserForm(formHandler); # might req a listen() daemon
get_browserError(errorHandler); # might req a listen() daemon
get_browserEvent(eventHandler); # might req a listen() daemon
and maybe...
do_DOM_cmd("getElementByClass", [args]);
and maybe even...
set_browserCSS(styleNode/styleTree/StyleObj or file.css);

That last one could be gotten around by just embedding...
<?xml-stylesheet href="pretty.css" type="text/css"?>
...into the streamed xml nodepile too.

Buddy Roy says one really can't call such a hack-up... a "browser" anymore, because of the stringent "by definition" stuff folks are barking these days. So... I don't know what you'd call this thing, how best to implement it, and I know darned well I couldn't pull it off. So, I'm wondering, if anyone thinks I'm crazy, and if not, would someone want to try this? Someone could surely gain hero status in MY eyes anyway. I run ActiveState Perl on a Win2k box... and I'm a terrible coder. I've been known to burn down my house trying to get code to compile. This might not be the correct newsgroup for this. My apologies if not... and please forward, delete, or adjust as needed. Please cc: wingnut@winternet.com with any suggestions, comments, or butt chews. :) Thanks and all the best, everyone!

Wingnut
Minneapolis

Return to Mozilla Development