Firefox interface look

Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform.
trodas

Firefox interface look

Post by trodas »

I could not help but wonder, if the recent Firefox versions can be set to look like my v3.0.14 are:

I just never use tabs and not plan to do. Also I have no plans of moving from Windows 2000 SP4, witch means that the lastest is Firefox v12 for them, right? And can it be set to look like this? :-k
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :-) my config - my caps
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox interface look

Post by patrickjdempsey »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... uddite-ui/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ox/?src=ss

As I said in the other thread, Firefox 10 ESR would be the most up-to-date version, at least until January when it goes EOL and the following version will not be compatible with W2K. But as far as the very last version of Firefox to ever get security updates for W2K: ESR 10 is what you want. (With Flash 10.3)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

trodas wrote:I could not help but wonder, if the recent Firefox versions can be set to look like my v3.0.14

Is this close enough, Trodas? This is my other desktop. I don't know why your Firefox appearance is so cluttered. :)
trodas

Post by trodas »

VanillaMozilla - definitively very nice and close enougt. But that ain't windows! :) And you sig seems to confirm that :D I also hardly run higher that like Firefox 10 version... last is 12 for me on W2k :)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :-) my config - my caps
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

trodas wrote:But that ain't windows! :)

I run it on Windows and Linux, and it works essentially the same on both. I think the other picture I posted was Windows.

In this picture I have most of the tools and the URL bar dragged to the menu bar. The only thing is, it doesn't work well this way on Linux if you hide the menu (because it also hides everything else). (EDIT: it works fine now.) But you can experiment with it. It's really quite easy, and a few minutes of tinkering will trim it way down to size. Good luck.

I do use tabs, and for that picture I have "always show tab bar" unchecked.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on December 9th, 2012, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trodas

Post by trodas »

Firefox v10.0.10 can be set well to look as I want, however both of the front and back buttoms seems inactive all the time. I even tried remove them and add them again to the inferface, but no difference. Still inactive... Damn!

Look:

...even after serfing to this thread, they are still inactive :( :-k ](*,)

Hope this is not something I have done with UserChrome.css file? Here it is:

Code: Select all

menuitem[id="subscribeToPageMenuitem"],
menuitem[command="Browser:BookmarkAllTabs"],
menuseparator[id="organizeBookmarksSeparator"],
menu[id="bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu"] + menuseparator
{ display: none !important; }

/* disable menu history */
#history-menu { display: none !important }

/* hide live feed icon in Address url toolbar */
#feed-button { display: none !important; }

/* disable icons in bookmarks menu list */
menuitem.bookmark-item > .menu-iconic-left { display: none; }

/* hide star button in the url bar */
#urlbar-icons > #star-button { display:  none !important; }

/* hide the bottom URL status panel */
statuspanel { display: none !important; }
patrickjdempsey

Probably an extension, a userchrome hack wouldn't be able to do that.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
trodas

Post by trodas »

Fixed by restoring the default prefs and THEN setting all back the way I like it. Wasted almost a day. Just to realize my HW is too slow and obsolete to make FF 10.10 working well...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

trodas wrote:Just to realize my HW is too slow and obsolete to make FF 10.10 working well...

Huh? I run Firefox 17 every day on a 660 MHz Pentium that is so old that it predates Windows 2000. It runs fine on Windows XP.
trodas

Post by trodas »

Maybe if you like turtle speed, then well - be my quest. However on my machine, the speed difference between FF v3.0.14 and FF v10.0.10 is so huge, that it is almost impossible in words to describe. Really. It just bog everything down.
The HW acceleration might help on some machines, but there it bog everything down (FX5200 graphic card, DX9.0b, Forceware 45.28) to turtle speed. Even opening many, many windows is likely to cause a total crash (monitor went off signal and that it is). Never happend with v3.0.14 ever.
Also, on very popular Xchat.cz chat czech server opening a new "whisper" private talk window bog my PC down as much, as even WinAMP pause in playing mp3 or module... (!!!) Now that is not something I can live with, so if your FF fun fine on your machine, then you are lucky. Mine experience is sadly way, way different. And very, very unpleasant for me.

I'm not absolutely against FF 10+, but on my PC it is a terrible idea. Even disabling the HW acceleration did not do a thing. All is weird and very slow...

On the contrary, using v3.0.14 and everyhing just FLY fast :mrgreen: Happy with it 8-)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

trodas wrote:However on my machine, the speed difference between FF v3.0.14 and FF v10.0.10 is so huge, that it is almost impossible in words to describe. Really. It just bog everything down.

You've got something else going on. Your setup. Really. I run this on two or three older machines, as well as a fast, fairly new one. There's nothing inherently slower about recent versions. If there were, believe me, I would notice. Somewhere you're dragging a freight train. Do the Standard Diagnostic.

trodas wrote:The HW acceleration might help on some machines, but there it bog everything down

There you go. So turn it off and leave it off. It's totally unnecessary and causes a lot of problems.

trodas wrote:Even opening many, many windows is likely to cause a total crash (monitor went off signal and that it is). Never happend with v3.0.14 ever.

If your operating system crashes, by definition that can only be a bug in your operating system. Often that means a bad video driver, but there are other possible causes. It's common for one application to trigger such crashes while others do not. It may just mean that one application just happens to trigger the feature that's badly coded, or one particular place in memory. Crashes are often quite unpredictable in that way.

trodas wrote:Also, on very popular Xchat.cz chat czech server opening a new "whisper" private talk window bog my PC down as much, as even WinAMP pause in playing mp3 or module... (!!!) Now that is not something I can live with, so if your FF fun fine on your machine, then you are lucky. Mine experience is sadly way, way different. And very, very unpleasant for me.

We see this again and again and again on this forum. Your problem is almost certainly due to an extension or plugin, or possibly hardware acceleration.
patrickjdempsey

Not to mention that Firefox 3.0 was a dog with serious memory problems and very fragile handling of the then-new sqlite databases. Firefox 3.6 should be dramatically faster and more stable, and the final version of it far more secure than some random 3.0.14. But then, we've already had that conversation and the only reason you seem to want to post here is because you want some kind of step-by-step record of your own personal bad decisions.
trodas

Post by trodas »

VanillaMozilla - well, I like to consider myself reasonably experienced (stating with computers back in 1990) and therefore I'm sure to do my best in the attempt to cure FF v10 problems. Of course I did disable the hardware acceleration. Of course I did kill all plugins (except flash and tried even w/o MenuEditor and FlashBlock). Nothing of this helps in any way. The bogus problem with Xchat.cz and window opening that cause so dramatical CPU peak that it stop playing music, get even a bit worser when disabling HW acceleration...
So there you go. Of course I tried much of what I know, yet the results are still the very same. FF v10 is slow. FF v3 just _fly_ compared to it. I don't know how, I killed all the old prefs, started from scratch... yet no help.
Fortunately, I have a old Pentium III 1GHz Dell OptiPlex GX110 (upgraded to 80G Seagate HDD and 512MB SDRAM :) ). So now I try, if the Xchat.cz problem persist on this machine as well.

Tested. Absolute default start, NO plugins. I did not managed it to hang the music, but it is SLOW AS HELL. Even having a single main Xchat.cz window opened consume 66% CPU time at the LOWEST point. At the highest it claim 88% CPU time wasted by just a WINDOW of Chat...!
Opening another private "whisper" windows got the 100% CPU time penalty just for that. They open like 10x slower that in v3.0.14.

Apart from that, the very same problem as on my main machine are there and this problem is entierly UNACCEPTABLE. That is, the Right click on the start menu that bring the Close Window possibility is 99% of time useless. That is my key shortcut and I can't live w/o it. It flick, have no text or optios show, and mainly it just vanish w/o allowing me to close the window...

Now this alone is a dead end for me. Not to mention the speed...
And it is not just the Xchat.cz - the whole browsing speed is tad slower.

Another weird problem is, that the option "not to send crash reports" get re-enabled each time I disable it....

Now this is funny game to make users angry, or what this means?

All that force me off FF v10 very very strongly. I don't know how to put it better, but just a Xchat.cz main window with chat must not take almost all CPU power on 1GHz PIII. Something is very very very bad there. The only one way to unhook the "freight train" seems to me to go back to version that works.

patrickjdempsey - "Firefox 3.6 should be dramatically faster and more stable" ...

Is not this what you tell me about FF v10, that it will be faster? :) And again, no crashes using v3.0.14 ... But I'm sure as hell can reproduce the crash when I open many windows (like near 80 or so) in FF v10... And I usually end doing so, so this is a problem for me, not to mention all the other issues that have to be cured first...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, you have a specific problem that someone might be able to solve if you start a new topic on it and stick to the subject. But please don't ask unless you intend to follow advice.

My best advice for you (which I doubt that you are capable of following) is that you install the current version of Firefox from Mozilla, create a new profile (and DO NOT alter it in any way), and make sure you do not have ANY extensions, modifications, themes, or plugins. Make sure your OS is running correctly, without any malware. Make sure there is no security software monitoring your Internet activity, and that no security software is allowed to access any Firefox or profile files. Use an empty hosts file. If you must use a plugin for a specific purpose, make sure it's the current version, and that you have not modified it in any way.

It's not wise to use version 3. I would almost prefer that you don't use Firefox. If you don't want to spend any money on a new system so you can run currently supported software, Linux would run fine on your computer--although I'm confident that you would also muck that up in a short time.

trodas wrote:Just open the Adobe installer (exe, not msi version) into some hexa editor....
trodas wrote:I edited even the shell32.dll and quess what - noproblemo
trodas wrote:IE _REMOVED_ from the system
trodas wrote:And I do hack my OS:
trodas wrote:I open many windows (like near 80 or so)
trodas wrote:Adobe Flash as DLL files, hacked to work
trodas wrote: blocked sites in my hosts file
trodas wrote:Also I block every M$ sites.... Even when going on the M$ support I use http://anonymouse.org for safety.

And yet you don't consider the possibility that you may have made a mistake somewhere. All I know for sure is that you have extensively modified everything. I have modified nothing, yet mine works and yours doesn't.

Bye, Trodas. We can't help you and don't want to waste any more time on this. Good luck.
patrickjdempsey

trodas wrote:And again, no crashes using v3.0.14 ...

Oh really? I seem to remember you having problems with 3.0...
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2593445&start=15