Firefox custom version with WebRTC only as chat client

Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform.
se2016

Firefox custom version with WebRTC only as chat client

Post by se2016 »

Hi,

I am interested in using WebRTC. I honestly trust Mozilla and its developers but nevertheless I disabled WebRTC in my Firefox web browser. I am using Firefox for browsing the Internet all the time and therefore the browser is always running and active. I do not feel comfortable with a constantly activated framework in background which can access video and audio. I know that I must explicitly allow access to video and audio in Firefox, but I worry about silent side channel attacks.

Preferably I would like to use a separate program dedicated for WebRTC. So this program and its complexity is reduced to the special task WebRTC. When I start this program WebRTC is active and if I shut it down WebRTC is inactive. This program should not support unrestrained URLs only WebRTC web pages I will register to.

Is it possible to derive a sole WebRTC client from Firefox?

Regards,
se2016
trolly

Re: Firefox custom version with WebRTC only as chat client

Post by trolly »

WebRTC is designed as a real time data channel for web browsers so extracting it from the browser is rather meaningless. It can also provide real time data to games and other interactive web content.
Any web page can use WebRTC without prior notice.

Chat etc only use WebRTC. It is not the purpose of it.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
se2016

Post by se2016 »

Hi trolly,

slowly I getting it. The name says it all. Web Real Time Communication with focus on real time and communication in a general sense - apparently the next thing after web sockets.

So currently my solution will be one Firefox with disabled WebRTC for surfing normal web pages without much bling or web pages tolerating my privacy addons. For other applications like video chat and so on I will install a dedicated portable Firefox versions with related settings.

The more the Internet browser is able to do the more I feel uncomfortable about security. But nevertheless I will take a closer look on the new web technologies because on the other hand they are fascinating. :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
trolly

Post by trolly »

This thread seems to be a short but good description of WebRTC and WebSockets.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1879 ... i-need-web
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.