Multiple local folders in Thunderbird as pst files

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
alberto sanz

Multiple local folders in Thunderbird as pst files

Post by alberto sanz »

Hello everybody,

starting with TB now to manage my emails I am presently using microsoft outlook in the following way: having all mails copied in local folders (which corresponds to a xxx.pst file) and when the file reaches a certain size I simply rename it an restart with empty local folders.

Whenever i want to check old mails i simply open the xxx.pst file that i need and after found the data I want i can close it.

Is there any way i can manage similarly local folders with TB?

Thanks a lot for help.
DanRaisch

Re: Multiple local folders in Thunderbird as pst files

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, quite easily. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail
alberto sanz

Post by alberto sanz »

What I need is to save all the emails with the same strucure and start with a new profile, if I need to check and old email I can add this saved file to thunderbird and check the mails. I want to do this because in my company we have imaps accounts with a size of 10GB, so when we pass this size we change the profile to start with a new one and keep the old messages to have access during 2 years. This was what we did with outlook and pst files.

Thanks in advance.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The link I posted above provides the information you are asking for. There is no Thunderbird equivalent to the .pst file format used by Outlook. Messages moved or archived to sub-folders of Thunderbird's Local Folders structure are stored on the local computer and are not stored on the IMAP server. That means they do not count against any storage size limit on the server. Messages in the Local Folders structure are accessible by Thunderbird in the same way as any messages in the IMAP folders.