transferring SM address book to Thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
artfoxx

Re: transferring SM address book to Thunderbird

Post by artfoxx »

Many thank as always for your insight and help. I have since been able to get the address book transferred to two of the four e-mail accounts. However in trying to resurrect the transfer of their respective emails and using the Thunderbird transfer method for the "automatic all" drop down menu that only transferred in both respective email accounts a partial amount of the emails happened, as well as none of the folders that had "archives" below the sent/trash folders - these folders containing stuff that were saved for access and addition to, new emails as they were received.
So is there any way to go to the older PC that has this data and be able to copy them to the newer PC at the appropriate location? (then I can concentrate on the remaining to email accounts). Your extremely helpful
mention of the Directory Folder and its tie to affecting the recovery of the address book was vital.
Thanks again for your continuing help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders for how to import mail folders from another profile without using the tools -> import wizard.
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_addres ... n_profiles for how to import address books "as is" using an add-on (rather than by copying them over the two predefined address books) if you have any remaining address books to import.
artfoxx

Post by artfoxx »

Hi! well thanks to your mentioning the Folder Directory, I have been able to solve the abook.mab and replacement of most of my prior emails in all 3 of my accounts and for that my sincerest thanks but there is only one to fix.

I do have another queer problem with this 4th account. I am not able to send or receive emails.

What did happen was : I created a new account in TB for example name2.att.net while leaving the the first account as name.att.net. Both of them are using the same AT&T servers (inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net.)

If I send an email from name2.att.net it gets sent right away and it ends up in name.att.net account as a successful received email.

When I remove the name.att.net account and change the name2.att.net account without the number 2 in its name and try to send an email it does not work and get an error window box saying that the incoming server is in error and to fix it.

When I check the Folder Directory in both cases they show the same location. So is the original email account corrupt or is there another explanation and how to fix that.

Thanks yet again for any solution and insight as to this problem.
Regards Art
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you change the name of a mail server in an existing account it automatically changes the local directory (where the account stores the mail folders and messages filters). However, you can use the adjacent "Browse" button to manually change the setting to the old value. Usually the local directory includes the mail server name as a child directory. You could also try to figure it out by using help -> troubleshooting information -> show folder to open windows explorer at the profile, look at the different child directories in the Mail subdirectory, and compare them to the existing "local directory" settings.