Thunderbird vs Seamonkey

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Tigeromega

Thunderbird vs Seamonkey

Post by Tigeromega »

:?: What is the difference between the two email clients?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird vs Seamonkey

Post by DanRaisch »

As email clients, there is little difference between them.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Will TB be dropping extensions and XUL in November? If so, there'll be a big difference.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Will TB be dropping extensions and XUL in November? If so, there'll be a big difference.
I expect that either both of them will, or neither of them will. I don't see them splitting up any time soon.

Lightning is an XUL extension right now, so I wonder if they're figuring out some other way to include it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Will TB be dropping extensions and XUL in November? "

No. They know they have to eventually stop depending upon features of the gecko layout engine from Firefox (XUL etc.) but they're not ready to do that yet. That is planned as part of a next generation version of Thunderbird. Exactly what they will do in Nov. is unclear but I suspect they will just keep using an older version of Gecko so that they don't break the add-ons. They don't have to stay in lockstep with Firefox like they used to when Mozilla paid the bills.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I usually use older versions of TB, because they don't need security updates like Firefox. I'm curious--Does the email feature of Seamonkey look like TB?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2 ... erview.png . I suspect the real issue is what features won't work because a browser doesn't support the right type of widgets.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I usually use older versions of TB, because they don't need security updates like Firefox. I'm curious--Does the email feature of Seamonkey look like TB?
They don't?

Three Critical fixes in 52.3.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2017-20/

and I'm sure you can find more here.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... underbird/

Just click the link for each version.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I don't understand all of it, but I've never had an exploitable crash or any crash in TB. What does "risks in browser or browser-like contexts" mean?

tanstaaf-- I would also say it's not a good idea for me to do email in a browser. Thanks.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I think "risks in browser or browsers-like contexts", probably means allowing Remote content in emails and reading a feed message body as a web page.

I would be more concerned about things like this https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... -2017-7779
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5