addon for grouping email addresses?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
craigloganbt

addon for grouping email addresses?

Post by craigloganbt »

As the title says, is there an addon or anyway builtin for grouping email addresses?

I have multiple email addresses for multiple things, i want to put all email address into smaller groups so i don't have to sift through 40+ addresses. It will also make the email address related documents easier to find and more IDable

I already have manually sort folders and it helps but its not quite enough

thanks in advance
DanRaisch

Re: addon for grouping email addresses?

Post by DanRaisch »

Perhaps you would find the built in Mailing List functionality helpful.
craigloganbt

Post by craigloganbt »

Hi thanks for the reply. Maybe i wasn't clear. I don't want to send emails to groups.

I have 40 or so email addresses/accounts that are mine. For example i've got 10 related to fishing, 10 related to cars, 10 related to animals etc

I want to group them so all the fishing ones are in a group/drop down so that i can more easily locate the email account that i am looking for as its not easy to tell from the actual email address what group it relate to. And i use manual sort folders to organize them in order of age of email account (this is most important)

I need to organise them into groups (what i am asking for now ) and by age of account ( that i already do with manual sort folders)

Hope that makes sense what i am looking for

thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry but I am not aware of any extension that offers that functionality. You might consider creating multiple profiles and migrating the accounts into them by category.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

There are two possibilities that *may* do what you want (warning, I haven't actually used them).

1. In the regular address book, use one of the unused fields to put the characteristic you want. For example, in the individual card, you could use the 3rd tabl (Extra information) and fill the first field at the top to write for example, the field of interest of each person. For example: Sports, Work, Fishing club, etc.

Then, when you display the address book, add that column to the list view and sort by it.

2. Use the extension Cardbook.
It is a very complete and somewhat complex extension that will overhaul completely the way you see address books. Each person has a complete card with information, and there are a few new fields allowing you to specifically assign categories to each person. I haven't checked how easy it is to work with categories.

Note. I have used briefly Cardbook back when it was at version 4 or 5. It was good, but I felt it changed too much the interface for my taste. It is now at version 23 and continues to be actively developed, so it's worth a try.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Is the problem managing your contacts or managing mail in your folders? If the latter have you tried using the quick filter bar (enabled in view -> toolbars) so that you can specify you want to see only messages from a specific sender? That's much more convenient than using global search.

You could also right click on the main toolbar, select customize, drag and drop the mail views widget to the toolbar and press done. That widget has some predefined views, but lets you create (and use) custom views. You could create a view that specifies all messages sent to certain email addresses, to create the smaller groups you were talking about. The view supports the search criteria used in edit -> find -> search messages . It would be much more convenient than using "saved search folders" to specify your small groups because you could use the view on any folder.